Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Our "School" - Educating the Kids

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding" -Proverbs 4:7
After writing our schedule on this blog, I thought it would be good for me to write a little more about how I teach my kids.  When I write about teaching kids to work, I get ideas about how to do things better - so I thought it would be a good idea to write some posts about how I educate my kids.  I've been working hard this year at applying the "7 Keys of Great Teaching" from the Thomas Jefferson Education model so I'll write some about how that is going.  I'm really pleased with the results so far.

In these posts, I will explain some of the items on my schedule as well as write some examples of how we're trying to apply teaching principles and examples about how those principles are working (or not).

Here are the principles and other things I want to write about (when I write a post about what we're doing or an experience I've had with a principle, I'll link them from here):

A Disclaimer
Why I Homeschool
Why a Thomas Jefferson Education
What about Socialization?
What is an Education?
Good Books List
Curriculum
Core Phase Lessons:
(remember that we're all working on core phase - it's the foundation) 
The Ladder - A Reward System (see my friend's post for a great addition)

Inspire Not Require:
Power Struggles vs. Agency
Morning Devotionals
     A Few Changes to our Morning Devotional
     More Changes to our Devotional and Devotional Boxes
Discovery Time*
Memorizing
Toys
Family Reading Time
Requiring Learning Skills - and the follow up:
     The Wrong and Right about Learning Incentives
Habits vs. Requirements
Great Math Website

Structure Time Not Content
Table Time and Study Time*
*Table Time, Study Time, Discovery Time and Play Time
have been replace with: Free Time 
"The Closet" or Rules of Engagement

You Not Them:
Making Time to Study
Great Books List
My Book of Centuries
My Master Inspire Plan
Learning Who I Am
Mentors Not Professors
Making Time for Each Child and Adult Skills 
(Update 08/10 - I don't do this so much anymore - I try to make the time for individual needs when I see the need -  scheduling it in didn't seem to work very well)

Classics Not Textbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment