Monday, July 12, 2010

Teaching Obedience

(a hike with my sister in law last weekend - nothing to do
with this post, but it was pretty)

The other day, I found Bazinks outside.  He hadn't asked me if he could go out.  I told him that his consequence was that he needed to stay inside for the rest of the day.  A few hours later, I found him outside again.  I told him that his consequence was that he would have to remain inside for the rest of the day and for the following day.  A couple of hours later, I found him outside again! This time I told him that he didn't only need to stay inside, but that he would have to stay right where I could see him for the next two days.

Something very interesting happened.


I've been thinking about the importance of learning obedience.  In the movie, Celestial Education, Michelle Stone mentions some "stages" that children go through.  She reminds us that children do not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until they are 8, and that before that age they are not able to be tempted by Satan (even though they can be influenced by evil if they are exposed to it).  She expresses that during this time, children learn to listen to their parents.  She says that their mother almost acts as the Holy Ghost for them - influencing them, guiding them, comforting them, teaching them, whispering to them.  At this stage the child needs to learn to heed and obey his parents.  Once the child gets the gift of the Holy Ghost, they continue to obey their parents, but they start looking for extra ways to help without being asked - they start listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost - and obeying them.
Spice with the new addition to our family (yes, we got a dog)

I haven't placed as much emphasis on obedience as I should have.  I liked to encourage creative thinking and discussion, so when my children had a good argument about why I shouldn't ask them to do something - I was willing to listen and change my mind if their opinion made sense. There were also times when I did not want discussion.  This is when I would count.  My kids have become quite adept at listening to numbers.  I guess saying, "One, Two..." became a signal that the discussion was over and they needed to obey.  I've been pretty good about being consistent at giving them a consequence when I reached "three", but even this was up for discussion sometimes - do you get a consequence if you didn't do what I asked when I got to "three" or is it okay as long as you started started to go do it by the time I got to "three" etc.  There have even been times when I count to "10" because they weren't moving fast enough and I didn't want to do a consequence right then, or maybe I'd count really slowly, etc.

Anyway, this system has worked okay.  I don't feel out of control because I can usually count on the kids to obey when it matters (no pun intended), but it has had some drawbacks.  Now that I have five children, I don't have time to discuss everything I say - I just want it to get done when I say it.  Also, it has fostered an environment where the kids feel like they can question my authority if they think they are right.  Questioning parental authority is not okay.  When I saw that Bazinks had disobeyed me three times in a row, I realized that he was starting to not take me very seriously.

In the Celestial Education video, Michelle pleads with parents to keep their young children close - they do not have the guidance and protection of the Holy Ghost, and we as their parents need to be sure to be there for them - teaching and guiding them in those critical years.  So instead of just putting Bazinks in time-out when he went outside without asking (and then disobeyed me twice), as I would normally have done, I decided to keep him near me for a while as well.

I had assumed that little Bazinks had a bit of a rebellious personality.  He tends to resist helping me when I ask.  He ignores my requests sometimes and acts as if he doesn't hear me.  When I told him that he would have to stay where I could see him for a while, he didn't seem very upset.   Then he started wanting to help me with things.  He smiled an hugged me more.   I'm beginning to see (as embarrassing as it is to admit) that it wasn't his personalty that was the problem - I was.  Since he has 3 older siblings, I had been okay with letting him go wherever they were (even outside to play with friends) because they kept him happy.  It is harder keeping him with me because he wants me to pretend things with him and my thoughts get constantly interrupted, but I also love it because he likes "being my little buddy" and helping me and he tells me all sorts of things about what is going on in his mind.  Little children are full of wisdom if we stop to think about why they say what they say. 

So I have decided to focus on obedience for a while.  My older kids should have this down, but as I mentioned, they will disagree with me sometimes.  I like Nicholeen Peck's method of allowing this.  The children can ask once, "May I disagree appropriately?" and if you allow it, they give their point of view.  After this, they are expected to obey whatever the parent decides after hearing their opinion.  In our house it looks more like this:

"Bud, come pick up your shoes."

"I'm just going to finish this first."

"You need to be obedient, but you can ask me if that is alright."

"Can I please finish this first?"

"Yes, you may."

Hopefully we can get this down to a habit so I don't have to constantly remind.

I remember Nicholeen saying that you need to train your children to obey the first time you say something.  Otherwise, you're teaching them that the third or fourth time is when they need to listen (or when you count).  She starts her comments with, "I'm going to give you an instruction." so that her kids know it's time to listen.  I haven't been able to remember to be quite so formal, but I'm working on making sure they let me know they are listening to me.  I'll ask them to say, "Yes mom" or "okay" (also one of Nicholeen's ideas) so I know that they heard me.  The thing I have the hardest time with is remembering to have them report back when they are done.  I think that is going to have to be something I focus on.

It is crucial for children to learn to be obedient to their parents!  I hadn't realized the extreme importance until recently.  I'll explain what I mean later.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Reminds me of this one I did not long ago. http://tjedmomforliberty.blogspot.com/2010/06/fyi-question-social-normsand-listen-to.html
    The keeping them close before they recieve the Holy Ghost idea is new to me and I will deffinately keep that in mind! I'm reading Nicholeen's book now and am hopeful it helps me with the obedience issues! My you ever be in tune with the Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slowly starting to remember to remind my children that I am going to give them an instruction, on a consistent basis. I notice that when I give instructions in that way, they listen and obey better. I have always trained them to say "Yes, Mom", when I ask them to do (or not do) something, so that I know they heard me! We use the Teaching Self Government model in our home and love it! I recently came up with another plan, in addition to that, to help remind our children to mind. You can check it out on my blog under the post titled Priority Review. So far it is working well, and is helping us focus on obedience in a positive way. We still give "extra chores" if needed etc., but this just adds an extra incentive to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working on obedience with my five year old for the last few days too. She normally does what I ask eventually but she gets distracted and will start playing while she's making her bed or cleaning the playroom so she has been practicing obeying me quickly whenever I ask her to do something. It takes a lot of concentration on my part because I have to sit and wait for her to return and tell me that she did what I asked. If I start doing other things I get distracted myself and forget that she is supposed to check back.

    It sounds like I'm the one that needs practice staying on task!!

    Also, after reading a potty training book on Saturday I realized all my children needed more practice to keep their things picked up around the house so we are working on that too. It's a lot of work but I have noticed a HUGE difference around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lazy, what you said about your little one getting distracted and you needing to practice staying on task (don't we all?) reminded me of some Charlotte Mason stuff I've read. I still don't have my own CM books but I did print the free sample from Simply Charlotte Mason called Smooth and Easy Days. p.30 gives the example of the dawdling child and the mother being there where the child. "Her mother's eye is upon her, hopeful and expectant." I like that part, instead of a evil eye or even moving on to our own thing It helps the child to hopefully expect and be there. I know that's hard to do though! UG! I really need to work on that with my 8year old! She takes FOREVER to get ready for the day! Sigh, the pressure on us moms! I know it really boils down to me being more diligent and consistent then I have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of "May I disagree appropriately?" I seem to be (unintentionally) raising a group of lawyers, and I don't always want to be the dictator "because I said so." I want my children to feel like they can voice a valid opinion and have my attention and respect, but not in a way that undermines parental authority. What a great way to find that balance. Will ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. I learnt these little tools at a parenting class years ago and swear by them. But its especially great to be reminded again especially since Mr 6 seems to be developing selective hearing. I need to get on top of that. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, we have to do a lot of practice saying, "Okay, Mom!" around here.

    I love how you noticed the difference in Bazinks when he was staying right by you, and not lost in what the other kids were doing. It's actually one thing I'm excited about for when my older 3 start school this fall - I think Lizza's definitely ready for the extra time she will get with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (not that you have to send your kids to school to get one-on-one time with your younger ones, of course! I just meant that when the older kids are gone, and Lizza isn't just following along with whatever they are doing, there is a different (and sometimes better) dynamic between the two of us).

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite talks is from Boyd K Packer entitled, "Agency and Control." VERY EXCELLENT! I noticed and was struck by the fact that he said, "Obedience is the first lesson all children must learn." (paraphrased) I'm like you, negotiation is kind of a cool talent and if they have a "good argument" I'm willing to listen. I've also been worried about becoming too authoritative with my kids. Especially as the kids get older though, I realize that Pres. Packer is completely right. If they can learn the joys of obedience first, life is much smoother and more manageable. Thanks for the reminder. JULIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obedience has been my number one mantra since my kids were little. I explained to them from a very young age that Mummy and Daddy need to be obedient to Heavenly Father and you need to be obedient to us. Along with obedience is the first law in heaven etc etc.

    And yet, your post made me laugh becauase I have an 8 year old who last week did the very same thing as Bazinks. Even to the disobeying me three times.

    She has been a child who has really struggled with her natural man impulses. We have prayed about her so many times and everytime the answer was 'Just love her'. We would feel like....okaaaay - we were hoping for a few more immediate answers but if that's what you say to do Father, we will just keep on showering her with love.

    The interesting thing is that while she still struggles (as evidenced by her disobedience last week)I am beginning to see the first fruits of following Father's example. She is the type of child who will put up a wall and shut out your love but as she goes along she is softening and becoming more yielding to our love and guidance. This is a long journey we are on together but our relationship is in tact, so I feel hopeful that it will be successful.

    They all have thier own personalities which makes for interesting results and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get the Celestial Education movie? maybe I missed you mentioning it in past posts?

    ReplyDelete