Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lazy Summers - and Prayer

My mom with all her grand-kids
We have been fortunate enough to have my sister-in-law, Michelle and her two children come stay in Utah for a few weeks while my brother was at boot camp.   She left yesterday.  I miss her so much already!   She is a kindred spirit and I love her and her two little boys dearly.  The good news is that my other sister-in-law, Rissa, arrived a couple of days before Michelle left so we have been enjoying spending time with her and her three beautiful children now.
Bazinks at the park

I'm glad the DeMilles thought to add Ingredient #14 to their Leadership Education "recipe".  "Summers are for family" they say.  It's a good thing because otherwise I might be feeling a little guilty about how little I am doing in teaching my children.  July has flown by.  Having lived away from family for much of our marriage, I sure appreciate them when I am able to spend time with them.  My kids love their cousins.  I feel like I haven't seen my children in days just because they are so enthralled with their cousins and grandma.  I hope those relationships will keep on growing strong and that they can be a source of joy and friendship as they grow into adulthood.
My brother's girlfriend, Noel, with my baby and Michelle with her baby

It's hard not to get too lazy while I stay at my mom's house.  I could sit and talk for hours.  I love it, but I should probably find some kind of balance so I can make sure we're still working and keeping up our "core" practices.  It usually takes us a while to recover when we get home.  Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Ray, my brother, and Goose

I have one suggestion for myself:  Don't make a Master Inspire Plan right before summer and then think that you might be able to stick to it.  Save it for the fall!
Skipping rocks 

I did read a wonderful quote this morning that inspired me to have a good heart-to-heart talk with Heavenly Father so I thought I would share:
"Having given them their free agency, their Heavenly Father persuades and directs his children, but waits for their upreaching, their prayers, their sincere approach to him... The Lord is eager to see their first awakening desires and their beginning efforts to penetrate the darkness.  Having granted freedom of decision, he must permit man to grope his way until he reaches for the light.  But when man begins to hunger, when his arms begin to reach, when his knees begin to bend and his voice becomes articulate, then and not till then does our Lord push men to emerge from dim uncertain stumbling to sureness, in heavenly light.

Do you want guidance? Have you prayed to the Lord for inspiration? Do you want to do right or do you want to do what you want to do whether or not it is right? Do you want to do what is best for you in the long run or what seems more desirable for the moment? Have you prayed? How much have you prayed? How did you pray? Have you prayed as did the Savior of the world in Gethsemane or did you ask for what you want regardless of its being proper? Do you say in your prayers: 'Thy will be done?' Did you say, 'Heavenly Father, if you will inspire and impress me with the right, I will do that right'? Or , did you pray, 'Give me what I want or I will take it anyway'? Did you say: 'Father in Heaven I love you, I believe in you, I know you are omniscient. I am sincerely desirous of doing right. I know you can see the end from the beginning. You can see the future. You can discern if under this situation I present, I will have peace or turmoil, happiness or sorrow, success or failure. Tell, please, loved Heavenly Father, and I promise to do what you tell me to do.' Have you prayed that way? Don't you think it might be wise? Are you courageous enough to pray that prayer?" -Spencer W. Kimball Teachings of Presidents of the Church
 More beautiful kids:

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE that last quote! "Are you courageous enough to pray that prayer?" So, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one such talk with Heavenly Father last night. Much of it was through tears and pleading. I then read in this month's Ensign, a couple of different articles: The first one I read, was the one at the end of the magazine, about being at the end of your rope. It said that when that happens, "tie a knot and hang on." The next article I read was from
    President Boyd K. Packer, and was about Lehi's Dream. One part specifically talked about "feeling" your way to an answered prayer (feeling the power of the Holy Ghost), when you can't see your way to the answer. How I loved that! How I needed to hear those words! We have spent our summer, doing projects (organizing our chore system, obedience system and schedule) and cleaning and organizing. We have also started "family reading". I have yet to get a "plan" underway, for the upcoming "Learning Season", but am pondering that right now! Hugs and Blessings! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful quote. I love it. Where is that park? It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee - thanks for sharing - I'm exited to go read that talk now. I am finding more and more Boyd K. Packer talks that I love these days. He often says what I needed to hear.

    Dreamer - the park is over by my mom's house. I'll tell you exactly where at park day (we won't be there again next week, but we should be there the following week).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at not doing a Master Plan right as summer starts. Very sound advice. I didn't make a Master Plan but I sure had lots of "great ideas" that we were going to do. I've found that their is no schedule during the summer, and I finally stopped fighting it! I think that everyone is in the same boat because the blogging by everyone has gone down. After this week our family should be back to normal though. Enjoy summer while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to just roll with summer now- maybe because the first half went well. We've spent the past two weeks traveling and with family. We had two "normal days" this week and eased back into our summer routine pretty naturally (other than sleeping in)- which was pleasant to see- but I always need a day or so to recover mentally and really get my mind back on track. Now that my mind is back, we're leaving again! I've noticed that we're filling our "extended family love" tanks, which were running low, and what an important part that plays in fueling our lives in general. Those long "lazy" chats at the table with sisters and mothers this month have been priceless, in retrospect.

    And I love those inspiration quotes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for a "Master Inspire Plan," you are a brave woman to attempt that for summer! =)

    I've at last come to realize that the only Master Inspire Plan for me right now is the one the Master planned for me: to be a loving, nurturing mother.

    And to let go of everything else I have planned for "me." For now.

    But I sure will have fun reading about how you carry out yours! (When fall rolls around, of course. =) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you so blessed to have such a beautiful family?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's my advice for balancing activities while visiting your mother. Don't. I've spent a lot of time this summer visiting my G'ma and parents (who are next door to each other), with various relations popping in and out and some coming to stay for awhile. It feels like there is not really enough time to catch up (especially when the people keep rotating through) and I figure our relationships are important and maybe that's the best use of time for the moment.

    ReplyDelete