Thursday, July 15, 2010

Looking Beyond the Mark

 (We've had fun discovering things in our backyard.
This post is mingled with pictures of some of our 
latest discoveries)

I've been working on filling our home and our time with the best things.  I do this because I think my time with my children (and my time on this earth, for that matter) is so short, that I don't want to waste it on things that don't matter - running to and fro chasing nothing.  As I've been pondering about what those best things are - I've been led to praying more intensely, studying my scriptures more seriously, and actually doing the things that I feel prompted to do while I am engaged in those activities (I've been trying to write then down so that I remember them)
I realize that this is pretty obvious.  Haven't I been hearing it my whole life?  Yes, and I have often gone through spurts in which I am better about it than other times, but there is a difference lately.

Part of this difference has to do with my inability to trust in the cultural flow as I've learned that it has often steered me wrong.  I am questioning assumptions about what I eat, what I read, what I allow in my home, what I teach my children.  There are so many theories and so much advise.  I thought I knew how to raise a child when I had my first baby.  The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.
I have come to understand that I MUST be in tune with the spirit to know truth from error.  I am discovering that Satan can take just about any good thing and use it as a distraction or tool to keep us from focusing on the Savior.  He can counterfeit our emotions and the Lord's tender mercies and he can confuse our thoughts.  He can lead even the most righteous people away by degrees. It's rather disconcerting when you think about it.

I have found comfort in knowing how to judge. I know how I feel when I am being led by the Spirit - I feel love towards all those around me - even those who are harder to love - and I feel peace.  The trick is to keep that influence with me always.  I can only do this when I am obedient and focused on the Savior.
Obedient to what?   Obedience to my church leaders and to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  I feel love and peace when I hear the prophet and other church leaders speak.  I know they are servants of God and that I need to follow them even if I don't understand the reasons at first - just as I expect my children to obey me when they do not understand - because I know what is best for them. I am thankful for the organized manner in which our church is ran.  People are given revelation for those things within their stewardship - this gives me a sense of safety in knowing whom I must follow.  They will not tell me every little thing I must do though.   Those leaders often remind me to be seeking personal revelation.  What a beautiful thing not to be compelled in all things - to have the ability to ask and learn line upon line and precept upon precept. 
Being focused on the Savior is the most tricky one for me.  There are so many things that distract me - even good things.  I can not ask, "Am I being righteous enough?", "Are my children good enough?", "Is my home clean enough?"  This is looking beyond the mark.  All of these questions focus my thoughts on me, my, mine.  The only question to ask is "What would Thou have me do today?" or even "What would Thou have me do right now?"
I know it all sound ultra-religious-Bible-praising crazy to some and some people are wondering how I could not have seen something so obvious before, but it's where I am.  I have so little time left!  Spice will be 18 in 7 1/2 short years.  I need personal revelation.  I need to know what to teach her, what is most important for her to know before she leaves my home, what I need to be reading to help her, what I need to be listening to and attending.  I need the same guidance for all of my children.  With so many waves of information pulling me in different directions and so many exciting ideas and thoughts - I am hopeless without that discerning Spirit that teaches me truth from error.  I can not afford to take it for granted.  Life is too precious and too short and too much hangs on the balance.
I am grateful for those few things that I do know without a doubt.  I know God loves me and wants me to have joy and eternal life.  I know Jesus Christ died for me and that He cares deeply about how I use my time.  I know they love my children and all of the people around me and will guide me in how I can best serve where I am needed.  I know that there is a living prophet on the earth today and that he will not lead me astray.  I know the Book of Mormon and the Bible contain God's words that He would have me heed and ponder.  I know that the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth and I can be guided by the Holy Ghost in my daily decisions. 
I have all that I need in order to discern truth from error.  I just need to put forth the effort to take advantage of the guiding light that is before me.  There is nothing more worthwhile.  There is nothing that gives me more joy.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I love this one. I also love the pics of the baby birds. How amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More pearls of wisdom. Thank you Karen. I also find great strength in knowing the church is led by a living prophet and I can trust in that. We do need to seek to make every moment the best we can with our children. We really do only have them for a short time.

    Also thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this - I think you're so right that the key is being in tune with the spirit (how funny that it takes so long to really realize this). I love all the pictures - that raspberry looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words and pictures as usual Karen. I love reading your thoughts and insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a beautiful post.

    I feel the same way - that my time with my children is so short. It's scary. When they're little, you feel like you've got all the time in the world. My eldest is only 10 but already I can see how quickly time passes and how quickly these last years will pass before she will be her own woman.

    I also think the biggest way that satan tempts me is in distracting me; Distracting me from the most important things.

    The struggle for me is in submitting my will to God. If I was submitting my will perfectly, I wouldn't get distracted by the less important things. I pray and ask the Lord to lead me each day to do His work and will and I mean it with all my heart....and then He asks me to do something when I'm busy and it's boring and I struggle because I don't want to do it. I want to do something else! Oh the natural man in me! A-conquering I must go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,
    Thank you for another insightful post. I, my three sisters, one niece, and one sister-in-law got together today for our own annual homeschool/mom convention. This is our third. We have a sharing time in which we go around the room and share the insights and epiphanies we have had about our homes and children. Three of us mentioned or read posts from your blog to the others. Thank you for inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Karen,

    I have given you a blogger award. Thanks for being an inspiration to me.

    View it here: http://beingamotherwhoknows.blogspot.com/2010/07/thank-you-flowers-n-plaid-homeschool.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here Here! I have been having similar thoughts all year- fueled, perhaps, by all that I am reading and learning. As you said, there is so much inspiring information out there about how to raise and educate children, but when I pray about it, the answer I get is that Jesus Christ is the only sure foundation for my family, and the only model I should "swallow whole." The other models and ideas have wonderful parts and pieces, but I don't believe He wants us to swallow any other model whole- he wants us to do the real work of praying and learning to recognize the spirit for the specific details in our home and with each child. There is something so important about that process for mothers (and their children), I'm realizing. I'm so grateful to have a source of pure knowledge and unfailing truth to go to amidst so many other voices!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. I greatly enjoy all of your posts, but this is my favorite one ever.

    I've been having many of the same feelings as you, and I really appreciate the clarity with which you express yourself.

    Sometimes I wonder if I should just stop reading so many blogs and parenting books... even the best ones, because then I get overwhelmed and distracted and I'm spending more time reading about how to be better instead of actually doing anything about it.

    I'll never be able to do all the good things that I read about, so I know that I need to simplify and focus on the Holy Ghost's promptings. That is the most vital thing.

    I love your "What would Thou have me do right now?" thought. It is easy to get overwhelmed when thinking about everything that we need to do, but I think that if I do His will moment by moment, I will see a great change in my life.

    Ive been pondering these ideas lately (from M. Catherine Thomas' "Light in the Wilderness"):

    "Here we get to the crux of the whole matter. Learning to live in the Spiritual Mind is not just a matter of a list of good thoughts to live by. In its truest unfolding, it has a living, revelatory component. The Spiritual Mind is ultimately the Lord's mind and through it, we have direct access to H im."

    and

    "Could it be that self-improvement is less of tension and more of relaxation into simple, loving being?"

    Anyway, thank you again for these thoughts. I also never said thanks for your reply to my question/comment about family work time. I appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, I haven't been on to read for a while and came across this one first. Love this. Anytime someone wants to share their testimony, I'm ready to listen! You did this beautifully.
    Being a mom of 12, I can relate to all that you have to share here. It's hard to find the time to each individual child..they are all so different, but you want them to have that time that they need from you, I'm afraid I could have done better in the past. With my 16 year old being the only one home now, he's getting a lot of our attention, and we, are blessed for having his attention right back at us! :)
    When you mentioned being obedient to the Savior, then you asked to what..as you said, we know what we need to be doing. I love the thought that as we take the time to speak of the Savior in our homes, every day, to our children, to our husband, to any family member that may come by, is part of that obedience. We have been asked to share, the gospel, our testimonies. I love the fact that now, I can do this, talk about the Lord and all that he has given me/us at His Hand, that I can share that I know He loves us, and that He knows we are doing our best, for our families.
    Shanny said, submitting our will to God. I've heard said, as I'm sure you have, be careful for what you pray for, you just may get a huge opportunity to to learn from what it is you prayed for. That would be something that has happened for me many a time in my life. :) What a wonderful thing, service. There is no better service, than taking care of the children that God sent to us. Submitting to that will of His, to bring these precious little ones into our lives, and to take care of them for Him.
    I love those pictures of the nest. The eggs, then the babies, then>>they are gone out on their own. So true, even for our own. Went well with your blog. Who took the pictures..Spice? If so, tell her she did a great job!
    I love you all, I am so grateful for you all. I am thankful I came on here tonight and read your blog. I felt the spirit you were feeling at time come right through my screen. Karen, you are a beautiful woman, wife, and mother.
    You are doing a great job with your little ones/family.
    Love you lots, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's a question for you, if you have a moment to answer sometime...
    Have you been able to follow through with these realizations/thoughts in your daily life?

    I'm wondering, because I have been trying very hard to focus on the Savior as you mentioned-- asking what He would have me do that day, and listening for the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

    I hate to admit it, but I haven't noticed much of a change in how my days are going...I still always feel behind on the housework, etc...and always feeling pulled in different directions by all of the ideas in my mind.

    I guess that I'm rambling, but I was just wondering if you had found anything especially helpful as you try to not "look beyond the mark."

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete