Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Early December Highlights and Parties

 I'm at my mom's house again for the long weekend.  Okay, it's not really the weekend yet, but since my brother and his family are in town, we're hanging out with them as much as we can.  I remembered to upload some photos before we left so here's an update of what we did earlier this month:

Kid's Gymnastics Show:
Little Miss:












Spice:






Watching the show:


Bud:







They were a little nervous at first, but they had a great time.

Decorating "gingerbread" houses:
(I can't take credit for these pictures, my friend, Lara, took them and sent them to me.)










I intended to make gingerbread this year, but when I got looking at recipes and noticed that cutting out cardboard shapes was involved, I gave up hope and went with our old stand-by: graham crackers.  Notice the healthy decorations.  We got together with 3 other families and they're a little weird, in that they don't like to give their kids stuff that is bad for them.  Go figure.  I thought the healthy stuff made some really neat houses!

Swimming:

I didn't get any pictures at the pool, but I had to write about it just because I don't want to forget Baby Ray's reaction.
We went swimming with some friends.  The older kids jumped right in and started playing tag.  Little Miss and Bazinks played in the kiddie pool (I couldn't find Little Miss' floaties).  Ray, however, cried when his feet touched the water.  I put him in all the way to his shoulders, thinking he would soon get used to the water and enjoy it - like my other babies had.  I sat in the corner of the pool and waited for him to get comfortable.  He put his head on my shoulder and moved his little hands and feet in circles or he'd pinch me with them.  I waited.  Sometimes people would walk by and splash us a little - Ray would cry for a second, sigh, and continue resting his head on my shoulder.  I kept thinking, "Any second now, he'll lift his head and play."
After and hour and a half of sitting in the same spot (he got nervous when I moved), I gave up hope that he would ever like the water.  I thought he was so adorable because most babies would have been screaming at being as miserable as he seemed, but not Ray.  He patiently waited it our and was so relieved when we finally got out of the water.  He did attempt to splash a little right before it was time to go.  Maybe another hour would have done the trick!  He's the sweetest baby.

Dentist:
I like to schedule all of our dentist appointments at the same time so that I don't have to make separate trips.  The kids were so good and brave that I had to take pictures.






Spice watched Baby Ray while I got my teeth cleaned and then she was nice enough to keep Little Miss company while I watched Bazinks get his teeth cleaned.  Bud was playing X-box in the waiting room until his turn :-).

Christmas Parties:


Okay, so it's not a very good picture, but it's the only one I remembered to take at the Christmas party for Rock's mom's side of the family.  The kids are snug in their new, comfy blankets from their Grandma!  They had a family talent show which, at first, my kids refused to participate in (mostly Spice refused, but that got everyone else refusing) so we didn't come prepared with anything.  It was great fun watching everyone sport thier talents, even the adults.  Seeing everyone being courageous and silly about it, inspired my kids to give it a shot.
We weren't sure what to present so I told them to sing the books to the Old Testament that they memorized last year.  Well, asking them to sing was definetly pushing it, but they agreed to recite them.  They didn't quite have them memorized without the little tune, but they gave it a shot, and were very happy with themselves for having the courage to get up in front of everyone.

Here are the kids opening presents at the party with Rock's dad's side of the family:
(Again, not very great pictures, but it's hard to remember to get out the camera when your trying to juggle a baby at the same time!)



I love these guys!  They invite us over for dinner once a month (which isn't easy since we now have a family of seven!)  They are so sweet and loving to the kids.  I think my kids might be a little jealous when their aunt Brandy has kids of her own because she spoils them so much.  Their cousins, Skyler and Jayden,  are a bit older than them, but they still take the time to play with them and my kids look up to them.
We always have a good time over there.  When we were unwrapping presents, Rock said to them, "You guys have Karen all figured out!"  He was right - all fun, educational presents!

We went to temples square to see the lights, and, you'll never believe it, but I, again, forgot to take my camera!  It was awful with so many great possible photo opportunities all around me!  It was cold, but beautiful.  Favorite moments:
-We were coming out of the Joseph Smith memorial building and when my nephew, "Adgie" (from Florida), felt the cold wind he yelled, "Help!  Help!" and his mom bundled him up more.
-Ray's look as he noticed the lights for the first time.
-Sitting down in the Assembly Hall for a Disney toons sing-along and hearing Bud exclaim, "I don't really know these songs because we hardly watch any movies!"  Hooray!
A sister missionary at the Family History Center took our picture with her camera and sent it to me.  The "imigrant" look that the background was trying to accomplish was a little off-set by the bricks on the side and our heay winter attire, but at least we got a picture!

 
Maybe I'll remember to do a better job taking pictures for New Years.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great Christmas. Remember that you don't need to be invited, whenever it is good for you to make it down, let us know, our door is always open..I'll feed you anytime. :)) So when you can gather everyone up, come on down, just call and let us know it's a good time to come. We're always here on Sundays. Would love to hug on the kids..and you two...:))

    ReplyDelete