Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Thoughts



I remember driving down a busy Baltimore street a couple of years ago.  I was stopped at a light and the kids were in the back playing.  We were listening to a local radio station.  Being "Mormon" I was in the minority when it came to religions.  It was December, so Christmas music was on the radio.  This song came on:
What child is this, who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap, is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?


This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary!


Why lies he in such mean estate
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christian, fear for sinners here,
The silent Word is pleasing.


This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary!


So bring Him incense, gold, and myrrh,
Come peasant king to own Him,
The King of kings, salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.


Raise, raise the song on high,
The Virgin sings her lullaby:
Joy, joy, for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary!
I looked around at the people around me - each with their individual beliefs, thoughts and worries.  Some were maybe listening to the same station I was.  Some may have not thought of Jesus for a long time - but we were all the same - in that He was thinking of us.  I was filled with love for all those strangers as I pondered on the words to that beautiful song.

That is what I love about Christmas.  The unity that comes as we are all reminded - through the music, the manger scenes, the focus on family - of that scene many years ago - when He, who had created the world and all of us in it, came down to be sacrificed.  Born in a stable, He was unnoticed by many, but not by God.  The heavens watched this pivotal moment and angels sung for joy.  We watched that little baby, born to be suffer for us - for our weaknesses, rebelliousness and worldliness.  How we must have loved Him!  How easily we forget!  How easily we get distracted!

I am thankful for the extra reminders that come during the Christmas season of that which matters most.  I love that beautiful baby born so long ago.  I love Him who watches over me, even now, and has gone through so much for me.  I know I could never be worthy of His sacrifice, but I hope I can show Him my gratitude.  I hope I can see those around me as His children.  I hope I can help them as He would want me to.  I hope I can remember Him more.

Here's a little video for pausing and reflecting:


Beautiful article I read earlier this week about Christmas (I highly recommend it!): Maybe Christmas Doesn't Come from a Store

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said! I also get that feeling of love for others when I'm out and about. I just stop and look. I think of how much our Heavenly Father loves Everyone, all of us. I also pray, that I won't take advantage of what God The Father and His Son has done for us.

    ReplyDelete