Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Books - High Quality Language AND Content?!

I am feeling rather torn about some books I have kept.  If you've listened to the presentation Stories that Build Statesmen by Marlene Peterson, you'll understand why I feel it's so important to have books in our home with quality content and with beautiful language.  If you haven't heard the presentation, you can hear it for free on the Libraries of Hope website.  Click here and scroll to the bottom left and hit play.  It will be well worth your time!  I'm going to try to listen to it again today.  Maybe it will help me with my dilemma.

I've been collecting the Dear America books when I find them at used book stores.  I now have quite a few and they look really pretty on my shelf.
Bud has been really into World War II lately and in an effort to inspire him, I recommended that he read The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War II Soldier.  I hesitate to recommend books to him that I haven't read, but frankly - I haven't read enough books!  I thought Dear America would be safe.  I have read some of The Royal Diaries books in the series and I was unsure if they were the best kind of quality I wanted to have in my home, but I learned a lot of history when I read them and a lot about the customs and fashions of the era.  I really liked that.  However, the language was pretty simple and the girls were kind of superficial in their thoughts.  They weren't ideal role models in all ways, but they were real characters in history, even if the journals were just made up.  I kept them since I couldn't decide what I thought.

After Bud read the Journal of Scott Pendleton, I decided to read it and see what I thought.  I was surprised by some of the content.  There was some swearing, and some derogatory statements towards women such as this quote on pg 11:
"I wish we could go back to Darmouth.  If Mikey was right about English girls being easy, I would like to find out about it.  Wojo said that French girls were nasty.  Sounds good to me."
Why would anyone write something like that in a children's book?  I don't think Bud understood it, but I still didn't like him reading such statements.  Maybe they were trying to gear these books towards teenagers who read at a third grade level, but even so - they could do without such statements right?  Isn't World War II pretty dramatic as it is?

I skimmed through the Civil War one, since it was written by a different author and Bud wanted to read it.  I found it was more tame and I told him he could try it.  He read for a while, but then told me that there was some swearing in it and asked me if he should keep reading it.  I told him I didn't know.  I told him to put it down if the spirit left him while he read it.  He decided to stop reading it.

Still unsure if I should just get rid of them all, or if I should read each one (since they are written by different authors), I read The Fences Between Us: The Diary of Piper Davis about the Japanese Camps in America during World War II. I really liked the message and I learned a lot. I think it was worth reading, but again - the language was pretty simple and there was a little bit of teenage romance (which I think is silly at the age of 14), but the romance was very tame compared to The Diary of Anne Frank which I also just finished reading.

However, at least the Diary of Anne Frank was real. There was no reason for the author of The Diary of Piper Davis to put that stuff in there. (Not that I would let my children read The Diary of Anne Frank anytime soon - at least not without some editing!) I know there has to be other great books about World War II out there that Bud could read! I just with I knew where to find them. Any suggestions?

I guess what I am struggling with is whether or not a book is worth keeping if the content is very good (like the Diary of Piper Davis), but the language is not of high quality. Little Miss just finished a book called Heroes of America: George Washington and the language, again, was very simple, but she loved the book and she learned so much about George Washington. Another example is the Work and the Glory books.  I learned church history through them and they taught good values, but the language was not high quality.  Should I keep them?  There are also the Childhood of Famous Americans books. I've collected quite a few, but they are also pretty simple in language.
The content is all good and they also teach good values.  I just wish I knew of more books - especially historical ones that were interesting for kids to read, had beautiful language, and have high quality content.  Ideally, I would like to only have books that have both high quality content and high quality language.  I know I have a lot of reading lists, but none of the children's books are about World War II.  I do want to find books about subjects that my kids are interested in and those subjects are not always on my reading lists.   In fact, most of the books on my lists are over 100 years old - it is hard to find a more modern book with beautiful language since our language has been so watered down. 

I know it may seem like no big deal to have a few books with low language and high content - especially historical ones, but it is very important to me for the children to get well-versed in the language of the classics.  That is just not going to happen if they spend their time reading simple watered-down language.  Does anyone have recommendations?

11 comments:

  1. I have not listened to that presentation yet. Thank you for pointing it out. As far as the Dear America series go, I'm not a fan. Same with the Royal Diaries. I personally think they fall under the twaddle category and are not "great literature". I do enjoy the Childhood of Famous Americans. Although the language is simple, they really seem to ignite imaginations and bring history to life while teaching good values. But I haven't read all of them yet!

    I think reading (and listening to) books with beautiful, high quality language is important too. You also need to find things that kids can read on their own without feeling frustrated. And they should be uplifting as well!!! It's hard sometimes.

    Here is my list of books to read for WWII. I have not read all of them, so I can't guarantee that they are all "the best". I've read the Amazon and Goodreads reviews trying to make sure they are quality, but haven't had a chance to read them. (you can also find the list at http://gentleartofchaos.blogspot.com/2010/04/american-history-books.html)

    World War II
    The Good Fight: How World War II Was Won – Stephen Ambrose
    Victory in the Pacific – Albert Marrin (WWII) OR
    First Book of World War II – Louis Snyder OR
    Story of Word War II – Robert Leckie (Landmark Giant)
    A Day That Changed America – D-Day – Shelley Tanaka
    Battle for Atlantic – G.C. Skipper
    Battle for Atlantic – Jay Williams (Landmark – much longer)
    Battle of Britain – G.C. Skipper (1940)
    Dunkirk – R. Conrad Stein (1940)
    Snow Treasure – Marie McSwigan (1940)
    World War II for Kids – Richard Panchyk
    Pearl Harbor
    Air Raid- Pearl Harbor – Theodore Taylor (1941)
    Pearl Harbor – Stephen Krensky
    Number the Stars – Lois Lowry (1943)
    North to Freedom or I am David – Anne Holm
    Anne Frank – Anne Frank (1942 – 1945)
    Twenty and Ten – Claire Huchet Bishop
    General George Patton: Old Blood & Guts – Alden Hatch
    A New Coat for Anna – Harriet Ziefert (1945)
    Little Riders – Margaretha Shemin
    V is for Victory – Kathleen Krull
    The Unbreakable Code – Sara Hunter
    Pennies in a Jar – Dori Chaconas
    Baseball Saved Us – Ken Mochizuki
    Tuskegee Airmen Story – Lynn Homan
    Wind Flyers – Angela Johnson
    Middle School/Junior High
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry – Mildred Taylor (1933)
    Invasion: The Story of D-Day – Bruce Bliven Jr.
    Hey Mac: A Combat Infantryman’s Story – William McMurdie
    So Far From the Bamboo Grove – Yoko Kawashima Watkins (WWII)
    Navajo Code Talkers – Nathan Aaseng (WWII)
    A Conspiracy Of Decency: The Rescue of the Danish Jews During World War II - Emmy Werner
    George Preddy, Top Mustang Ace - Joe Noah (WWII fighter pilot - best pilot of war)
    Donald's Story - Sandra Merrill (WWII fighter pilot)
    Journey Through the Night - Anne DeVries (WWII occupation of Holland)
    High School
    Stalin: Russia’s Man of Steel – Albert Marrin (1930s)
    Hitler – Albert Marrin
    Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom (1898 – 1947)
    Story of the Trapp Family Singers – Maria Augusta Trapp (1905 – 1940s)
    No Promises in the Wind – Irene Hunt (1930s)
    Tell Them We Remember – Susan Bachrach
    Escape from Warsaw – Ian Serraillier (1942)
    The Endless Steppe – Esther Hautzig (1942)
    Hiroshima – John Hersey (1945)
    Sadako and the thousand paper cranes - Eleanor Coerr (Japan after WWII)
    Code Talker – Joseph Bruchac (WWII)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! :) It has been quite a struggle at our home. I want my children to read good literature and most of what is written today is not good literature. The problem for me lies in the fact that most of my kids are not at the reading level that they will pick up a scholar level classic and breeze through it...or even understand it. And yet I also believe that is a process and that someday they will get to that point. I am proud of them for not wanting to read poor literature so I guess I'll just be patient that they are not reading junk even if they are not reading as much as I wish they were.
    Good luck with your decisions. I hear Henty books are highly recommended and the 5 Little Peppers (several in the series)...which are classics and have sophisticated language, but they also are quite lengthy for young readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my oldest was Bud's age he also loved World war 2. We didn't seek out classic novels on the subject, he just read non fiction. He read every book on the subject from three different libraries (just in the juvenile section).

    My opinions about the quality of books has changes a lot over the last few years. My current opinion (subject to change tomorrow!) is that if my children are interested in a certain subject, then let them read whatever non-fiction we have and then whatever the library has.
    I don't worry too much about the books being too easy to read. They may not be Dickens, but they generally are not easy. If it is easy, then the kids just breeze through it and move on to something else anyway. The kids are reading to get information, not understanding of anything deeper.

    I enjoy good language in a novel, but sometimes the classics are just too confusing for kids. We don't talk like that anymore. I think it is fine to read easier books to gain information.

    I think the purpose of reading a novel is more about understanding human nature and overcoming obstacles. When I read a novel, or my kids read one, I want us to become better people. I want us to see things in a new way and add to our store of stories that build character. The non-fictional understanding gained is not usually the main goal of reading a novel for me.

    Children's brains can't really think analytically until age 12, and then I think it comes gradually. My son wanted to learn all about the technology of WW2. He didn't care about the "deeper human drama." He wasn't ready for it. He still isn't. But in about 5 more years I think he will be ready.

    I am loving the classics that I am reading right now. But I don't think they would've meant as much to me at 16, and certainly not at 8 or 10. My brain wasn't ready, and I didn't have the life experience needed to apply the stories to my life.

    Right now I only want my kids to read stories that will build their characters. I am not interested in them reading stories with swearing or people who get away with bad behavior, unless there is a clear moral lesson woven in. I look for books that are at their level of understanding, whatever the "reading level" is doesn't matter, as long as they can understand the message of the story and they are somehow better people for having read it.

    Sorry, this comment ended up being really long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Hiding Place" and "The Endless Steppe" are two of my all-time favorites. I agree, it is difficult to find books of substance that aren't written for a more "mature" audience (not in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny how you always seem to be thinking what I've been thinking about (btw - I'm expecting #6 right now, too). Anyway, I love your blog!

    I have been reading a current Juvenile Fiction book about the Polio outbreak in th 1950's. As you said, I'm learning enough to make me want to go and explore more about that era, but there are things that I don't think are appropriate for Juvenile reading. . . hints about sex, dating, attitudes against parents, etc. These may be "normal" feelings for some pre-teens, but I don't think it has to be normal. Does that make sense?

    Anyway, long story short, I'm also currently reading A Christmas Carol with the kids and they are loving it! There are some things they don't understand, but it doesn't take much to explain the language to them. They like the "language lessons" actually. :-) And so this has inspired me once again to keep exposing them to good language by reading aloud.

    I am in agreeance, somewhat, with a previous comment. I, too, finally had to "give up" and just let my kids read whatever was going to get them reading! Diary of Wimpy kid got my son reading and now he's reading much greater books! I now have a daughter who has been struggling reader reading some silly princess and fairy chapter books . . .but at least she's reading! I think when we expose them to great literature, they gravitate toward great literature, they won't want to stay in the "fluff." Sometimes, though, even I need to take a breather from the "hard stuff" to read something light (like Junior Fiction). :-) It's such a tricky line though. It's great that your son knows the standards of the home and is willing to follow.

    As for recommendations for JF WWII books: Number the Stars, The Devil's Arithmetic are two of my favorites.

    I have a feeling I'm going to be weeding through our books when "nesting time" comes around (if not sooner!).

    Good Luck!
    JULIA
    www.directionliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank-you for the list, Heather! That will be a very valuable resource to me! I'm thinking along the same lines with Dear America and Childhood of Famous Americans (I'll get rid of the former, even though they look so pretty on my shelf :-(, and keep the latter).
    Thank-you, everyone else, for the different suggestions! I have several options that I'm exited to try! I like your different perspectives and reminders to not stress too much. Some of my kids got started on reading with some books that you might consider "twaddle" like The Rainbow Fairies for my oldest and Magic Treehouse for Bud and Little Miss. In fact, I kept the Magic Treehouse books because I think they are great learning-to-read books.
    Julia, we are also reading A Christmas Carol right now (kind of funny - thinking along the same lines!) and the kids are loving it. It seems like when we read Charles Dickens - even though it is difficult - they never want me to put it down. They beg for more every night. Congratulations on your coming baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting about the Dear America books. I have a shelf full because someone gave them to us but I will probably be getting rid of them as well.

    I am never sure what books to keep and what to get rid of but I do know that less is more. I have been putting off organizing the library until I get this figured out or I have time to read every book in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regarding The Diary of Anne Frank, I have recently discovered there is more than one version. My 11 year old brought home the "Definitive" version from the library and after a few hours I had this feeling that I should look at it. Inside the jacket it said it included 30% more entries that were previously left out. Among those entries were many discussing sexuality. I didn't remember reading about any of that when I was younger so I checked into it further and found the original book that was published in the late 40's I believe. I read from the book as well and found a big difference from the first book my daughter brought home. At least as far as I read. I didn't finish it because my daughter decided the truth of how the Jewish people were treated was a little more than she could take right now. I think she is probably a bit to young even though this book is suggested reading for 6th grade. I'm so glad we are educating at home and have the choice to re-visit this when she's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is good to know about the Diary of Anne Frank. I must have read the "expanded" version because there were several entries that discussed sexuality and I wished they hadn't been included because they were not necessary and I couldn't hand the book to my kids after reading it. I'll start looking for the original version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so many good thoughts and comments! This is what I've been missing since I've been out of bloggerland for two months. You write such wonderful, thought provoking posts!

    I have found the less dwaddle in our house the more classics have been chosen to be read.

    I wish you well figuring out what to do in your family.

    I think you're wonderful and I miss hearing you!

    ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think kids can gain value from reading all sorts of books given that they are clean. I don't think they should only be allowed to read classics or the "best" books. There is value in reading for fun such as Nancy Drew or just to unwind. Classics take more brainpower to process and sometimes we and our kids just want something easier and fun. Another benefit to allowing to read all sorts of books is that they will be able to better recognize the best books. I don't like the idea of Harry Potter and Fablehaven and all the magic, but the answer is not to forbid those books, but to have lots of other better books around. Then the kids can compare the writing and the stories and see for themselves that Harry Potter may be a "good" book but is not a "best" book. Also, it won't seem so foreign and evil, just another story of many.

    I think kids can benefit from reading all sorts of books as long as they are keeping up on their other studies and are also reading the best literature. Critical thinking skills are very important, and reading different types of literature can help them develop those skills by comparing the styles, language, etc.

    ReplyDelete