Monday, November 22, 2010

Living After the Manner of Happiness

Pictures are from a couple of hikes last month
I have decided I want to live after the manner of happiness.  I was starting to stress out again (pregnancy hormones contributed, as well as getting lazy with my personal study time).  I start to worry about things like "grade levels" and age expectations, etc.  I wonder if I am not what is best for my children - maybe they would learn more at school, etc (you get the picture).
When I went to stake conference yesterday, a theme that seemed to keep emerging was living after the manner of happiness.  It woke me up again to those things that really matter.  A big reason I wanted to keep my children home from school was time, I knew there were things that I needed to make sure that they knew before they left my home (loving and serving one another, understanding how it feels to have the Spirit with them and to learn to keep Him with them, listening to His promptings, developing good spiritual habits, loving their fellowmen, developing a relationship with their Savior, scriptural literacy, strength of character or the ability to do hard things, sober-mindedness,  and other such things). 

I just didn't feel like I had enough time with them to make sure that they really understood these things.  I know there are people who are be able to send their children  to school and they are still able to have time to teach them these things.  I've met them.  I just wasn't one of them.  I tried.  I don't know how they do it.  For us, it seemed like when they were home for several days, we'd start to get focus on what really mattered and then I'd send them off for most of the day and when they got back we all lost focus again and playing with friends and homework became the focus of our conversation and their thoughts.

I just really want them to have a sure foundation, a steady focus, an eternal perspective before I send them out into that confusion-bombarded world.

The truth is, I don't have time or energy to do everything that they would be doing at school.  I have to focus my efforts on why I brought them home in the first place.  If they have a sure foundation - they will learn, voluntarily, all they need to learn in order to succeed in this life.  They will also know what true success is.

I'm not saying that I will not teach my children anything secular or academic.  Of course they need those things to understand things as they really are.  I will just have faith that, if I do my part and stay in tune, the Spirit will guide me as to what a particular child needs at particular times and in how to inspire them.  Spice wants to learn spelling so I'll keep working with her on that for as long as she needs.  Bud wants to write better, so we'll work on that as well.  Bazinks wants to read so we'll continue working on that.  Little Miss wants to read music and to draw better so I'll make sure to plan for that as well.  Interests will change, but if I stay in tune - I can know where to go with it everyday.  I just need to stay in tune.  I can not neglect the basics.  Nothing matters more to my progression... or theirs.  That seems a like a pretty heavy burden, but I just need to remember that the Savior promised:
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

That is living after the manner of happiness, I think. If I trust in Him and live His gospel the best that I can - I can have confidence that He'll make up the difference in what I lack and that my children will thrive under His direction. What a comfort that is!

The temple president at stake conference said that we learn to live the "manners" of heaven, or happiness, in this life and that a great place to learn those manners is in the temple. He also said that we need to acquire the right manners to stand in the presence of God. That is what I want for my home - a place where we learn the manners of Heaven - a refined heavenly home.

I love what Elder Hales said during the last conference:
When we follow the prophets’ counsel to hold family home evening, family prayer, and family scripture study, our homes become an incubator for our children’s spiritual growth. There we teach them the gospel, bear our testimonies, express our love, and listen as they share their feelings and experiences. By our righteous choices and actions, we liberate them from darkness by increasing their ability to walk in the light.
Why do I always forget?  No more neglecting the basics for me!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I needed it today. I have been having those same doubts lately. I like the thought of living after the manner of happiness. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and Congratulations on number 6!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had baby number 5 at the end of September. I was so tired and unsure of myself that I went to a public school and tried to enroll my school aged children. Luckily the school was full. My children have never been to public school. I would have made a huge mistake. Now that I'm not pregnant and I'm feeling healthy, I am much more confident in myself and things are running more smoothly. I am so grateful for your blog and others who helped me get through those difficult times. When we're pregnant and sick or right after we have a new baby, sometimes we feel like we're in over our heads. We have to be patient and always remember how we felt before. Trust in ouselves. Thank you for your help during those difficult times that I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same way as you with regards as to why my children need to be home with me. It is so great to have the support of great ladies through blogging. I love knowing others believe and think and feel as I do. Thank you.

    I was studying the story of Nephi building a ship and I wanted to share what I learned as it goes along with what you have said. He didn't complain or whine that it was to hard or he didn't know enough, he just responded with show me where to go to get ore so I can make tools. The Lord did and he was able to make a ship that was made well and carried his family across the ocean. It hit me hard that I have been asked to build a ship just like Nephi . My ship is homeschooling my children. The Lord will show me
    the way just like he did Nephi. That is what I hang onto on the days when I doubt myself. You are right though that when we neglect our studies, especially the scriptures, then the spirit is not as strong and doubt creeps in. I am inspired by what you do and think you do a great job with your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you ladies for your very sweet words. I'm so glad things worked out for you in your homeschooling journey, Trine, it does at times feel like I'm over my head and it's good to hear your experience. I'm glad my blog helped in some way and I really appreciate your comment right now.
    Thank-you for the Nephi story, Annmarie, I love that. I'll keep it in mind when I start worrying again (which still happens at least once a day!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree that pregnancy always twists perspective on things. When you're tired or unwell, it can make the smallest things feel overwhelming- and homeschooling is no small thing!

    You are so right about there not being enough time in the day to truly teach our children when they are in school. It hasn't gotten any better for us since school started. Nearly every day I repeat to myself: THIS is why I am going to homeschool. This hurried, detached life dominated by school, homework, friends and activities. It's bad enough for us, and we aren't involved in any activities or lessons! I see what's coming, though, and while I still have the choice, I choose a different path. As you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good reminder post for me to read when I'm feeling overwhelmed - I always think I'm not doing/teaching enough, but I need to remember to just work on the basics and listen to the spirit more.

    I love all the pictures of your family enjoying nature! It makes me so happy to see your kids, but then I always start crying because I miss you guys. We ARE coming for Christmas, so I need to talk to you and figure out a time we can see each other!

    ReplyDelete