Sunday, August 8, 2010

Habits vs Requirements

My thoughts are kind of scattered lately, this post is an effort to write some of them down.  Sometimes that helps.  It's also mingled with some of the latest family pictures.
Ray playing in the river.  He loves rivers - hates baths.  Go figure.

Lately, I've have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head and I'm trying to figure out how to implement what and when and experimenting to see what works and what feels right.  I'm trying to stay in tune to the Spirit so I can discern what is best.   It's so simple.  I'm not sure why I'm making it not so. 
 Spice decided to make us noodles for dinner.

I guess I have a sense of my great responsibility and I don't want to fall short.  That sounds like fear doesn't it?  Fear is not an emotion of the Spirit.  If I truly realized my dependence on the Lord and that these are His children and that He will guide me, I wouldn't be afraid.

I guess my fear is not that He won't guide me, but that I will be too busy with my own agenda that I won't be able to hear Him when He does.  I guess I am not fully trusting the atonement am I?  If I do my best with what I know, He will make up the difference.  My kids will find their mission and unique talents in life if they learn to follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost.  We all will.  I need to teach them the basics of staying in tune to that guidance and they will be okay.  Better than okay - they will reach their potential.  So will I.  It's so simple.  That is what I need to teach.  That is what I need to live.
Bud with his new pet baby praying mantis.
I've sometimes wondered about the difference between "requiring" things of our children and instilling good habits in them.  I think the difference is that a habit is something that is just part of a family culture - something that we are all striving to work towards and to live together.  "Requiring" seems like it is something that one person makes another person do, regardless of how that person feels about it.
Bazinks asleep in a box

I've decided to start working on some family habits that will help us develop the ability to stay close to the Spirit and draw closer to God.  For example, we now have "journal writing time".  I've explained to the children that this is the time when we all work on writing down promptings about what we need to do with our time, what we need to work on and learn, spiritual experiences or insights, things we are grateful for, etc.  It is a way we communicate with God.  The younger kids practice their penmanship so that they will one day be able to write in their journals or draw pictures of their thoughts.  One of my kids asked, "Do we have to write in our journals?"  I said, "I'm not going to force you to do the things that you ought to do.  My job is to teach you what they are, and to make time for you to have the opportunity to do them, but whether you choose to do those things with the opportunities you have or not, is up to you.

Another habit we are working on is immediate obedience to parents and God.  I told them that obeying their parents helps them practice obeying God.  We are all working on obeying promptings immediately.

That is my job.  I need to teach the children how to communicate with God, how to see the lessons all around them.  All things really do testify of Him if we take the time to notice.

What habits have you made the time to develop in your home to help you children draw closer to God?

Here are some videos of Ray's latest tricks:

6 comments:

  1. It has been a hard balance between "training up a child in the way they should go" and not requiring them to do things. I've come to believe there are core things that in my family we are all expected to do. It is my job to help them develop those core habits before they leave home. If they don't want to do them at first they don't have to however. I continue to inspire hoping they will.

    I have had success though because those core things they have all chosen to do. The youngest is 8 though so it helps as they mature! Some weren't interested until they were older than others, but even my 10 year old boy will now write in his journal daily with a reminder. (He asks me to remind him though because he now wants to do it).

    Good luck implementing your inspiration and your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I loved this post! I really feel like you and I are kindred spirits! :0) I have been where you are! I have felt these same feelings! I still feel these feelings off and on! I think that for me, I am often in awe of the confidence the Lord has placed in me. I feel a deep sense of responsibility for all in my care, and I want SO badly, to be a good and faithful servant. I LOVE this scripture: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
    the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1) I have to remind myself that it's okay to hope, and that hope is not fear. It's okay to hope that we get it right! It's okay to hope that we don't fall short! Hope is part of faith. The other part of it, is the works that are involved. As long as we are working while we hope, we will not fall short! How grateful I am for a loving Father in Heaven, who sent His son to meet us wherever we are, as long as we are on a path that leads to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said! Thank you for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just tonight I started reading a book I've only flipped through before: Teaching Children Responsibility, by Linda and Richard Eyre. I love the spirit of their ideas- a proactive way of "teaching" first, rather than "reacting" to our children, and all of it with the accompanying theme of coming closer to God. Among the chapters are:

    Responsibility for Obedience
    Responsibility for the Holy Ghost
    Responsibility for Choices
    Responsibility for Potential

    Etc.

    What I love most is the concept behind the book- they said initially they approached parenting and teaching their children with the question: "What do we want for our children?" But found that the list was so long and overwhelming- they then realized that the real question is not "What do WE want for our children," but "What does GOD want for them?" So they turned to the scriptures...and wrote three books- on teaching Joy, teaching Responsibility and teaching Charity (what they determined God wants for all of us in a nutshell.) There are so many wonderful ideas in the book.

    It's interesting that your post went right along with what I was reading tonight. Thought I'd share...

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the subject of requiring things- it seems to me that requirements are made- in society and in heaven- when specific privileges are desired- even down to basic freedoms. When there is a requirement, something desirable is usually granted or sustained in return.

    So I guess our job is to determine what are privileges for our children, and whether or not good habits tie into them.

    I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but that's my first impression.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great comments. Thank-you all for your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete