Sunday, May 1, 2011

Learning Who I Am

 I struggled when I first became a mother. It seemed to me that my whole identity had shifted in some way and I didn't quite know how to still be "me" and also be a mother. I remember feeling like I was in a sort of twilight zone. I hadn't realized the level of commitment that motherhood entailed. I wasn't prepared for the sleepless nights and for all I would have to give of myself just to keep a helpless baby alive. I was tired and I felt that it was all somewhat unreal. I had always thought of myself as a pretty "tough" gal and I was amazed, since I was struggling so much, that so much could really be required of all mothers. I couldn't believe the amount of daily, unnoticed, monotonous work; and the loneliness that I often felt as I was struggling to stay awake during the day as I made myself clean, yet again, a messy kitchen. It was not an easy transition for me.
I read an excellent blog post yesterday about some deceptions in motherhood.  It got me thinking about how altered my view is now, 11 years later.  I remember well-meaning people back then telling me that I needed to keep my identity in some way by getting away and making time for myself. I struggled with frustration as I tried to follow this advise and found it really hard to "get away", it made me miss my freedom of doing what I wanted, when I wanted. I would sometimes recent my precious baby because she would not cooperate with my need for "me" time.
How differently I see things now! Motherhood has become a joy that surpasses anything I could have dreamed of. What I didn't realize 11 years ago was that instead of "finding myself" outside of motherhood, I needed to find who I truly was by being a mother. I used to think that "who I was" was a combination of my interests and passions. I was an outdoorsy, alternative-music-loving, thrill-seeking, semi-tom-boy who didn't like country music or "jocks" or anything too girly. That's not an identity - it's a list of likes and dislikes at a particular moment.  Most of those interests have changed over time (I even married a "jock").  However, my identity has not changed over time,  it's just that I have come to understand myself better and have come to find so much joy as I grow to realize who I really am.
This understanding didn't come by getting away and pursuing my interests. It seems illogical or counter-intuitive, but it came by loosing myself in the service of my family! Once I came to an understanding that motherhood was the most important work on earth, I gave it my full heart. Once I gave it my all, I came to find that it is BY FAR the most rewarding and beautiful experience imaginable. I found that my identity wasn't something to be found outside of motherhood - I am a mother. I have always been a mother (as Eve was before she even bore children) and I will always be a mother. I wish so much, when I hear people talk of "finding themselves" or finding their "missions in life" away from their families, that I could somehow convey the feelings that I feel about who they are! I'm not saying that women do not have wonderful gifts that can also bless those outside of their families, but, as my wise friend Mary put it, they find those gifts and passions by serving their family. It is only by being who we really are and embracing it, that we come to understand ourselves, our mission, and our relationships in their true light. It is only by forgetting ourselves that we come to know ourselves. I know this is true! I have experienced it over and over and I continue to experience it every single, glorious day!

I was reading The Princess and the Goblin to the kids last night and I came upon my favorite chapter in the book. It talks about the mother of a miner boy named Curdie. As you read it, you should know that the princess' "huge great-grandmother" represents God in the story.

Mrs. Peterson was such a nice good mother! All mothers are nice and good more or less, but Mrs. Peterson was nice and good all more and no less. She made and kept a little heaven in that poor cottage on the high hillside -- for her husband and son to go home to out of the low and rather dreary earth in which they worked. I doubt if the princess was very much happier even in the arms of her huge great-grandmother than Peter and Curdie were in the arms of Mrs. Peterson. True, her hands were hard and chapped and large, but it was with work for them; and therefore, in the sight of the angels, her hands were so much the more beautiful. And if Curdie worked hard to get her a petticoat, she worked hard every day to get him comforts which he would have missed much more than she would even a new petticoat in the winter. Not that she and Curdie ever thought of how much they worked for each other: that would have spoiled everything.
 I am so blessed to understand who I am.  I am so blessed to have such joy everyday.  Things do sometimes go wrong, and I am sometimes selfish, and sometimes I don't live up to my high calling, but still I know I am doing a great work.  Such great work has great responsibility and astounding blessings. I have moments of joy every day that surpass anything I imagined possible in my selfish years.  And the more I learn and grow in this service, the more moments of joy I find all around me.  Sorry if this post sounds too honky-dory.  I know there is much heartache as well as joy in motherhood, but I also know that no other pursuit could compare with the beauty to be found in the word "mother".


*The pictures in this post are from a day this last month that Spice took the camera out to take a few pictures. 

11 comments:

  1. I am in my mid 50's and you put into words how I felt when I was a new mother, like I had somehow lost my identity. Actually, I thought I had really gone a little crazy..........Your thoughts on motherhood are just beautiful. Motherhood is a blessing that would never be discovered if we knew what we getting into. One I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I have learned so much through the daily joys and struggles over the years. My life has not grown linearly but in an abundance and a fulness. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind, beautiful comment.

    I did want to add to this post that there have been times when I have gone on a walk, or a bike ride in the mountains, or a seminar, etc away from my children and I have come back home feeling rejuvenated and more grateful for what is waiting for me at home. Heavenly Father will guide us to places with His Spirit when He knows we need some time to reflect.

    My daily scripture time in the mornings is done alone (unless I sleep in!) because it is very hard to ponder and reflect with cute little voices around me. I can't take my kids to the temple either. There are times when we need alone time with God. These things are not done to "get away" from motherhood though. Drawing closer to god and thereby being a better mother is the motivation - not having more "me" time and finding myself outside my family. I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautifully written, Karen. I couldn't have expressed it any better myself. :) I needed to hear this, I've been a little stressed with all my motherly duties lately and this made me remember why I'm doing what I'm doing and how much I really do love it and those little cute feet that run around me all day. Thanks. You are truly are an amazing lady. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that same post, and love everything you wrote in addition. You have always been a good example to me of a mother who loves being a mother - I love how special your relationship is with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you said here: "It is only by being who we really are and embracing it, that we come to understand ourselves, our mission, and our relationships in their true light."
    I love reading your blog. You always put things so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post, and perfect timing leading up to Mother's Day. :) Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your mothering thoughts. You are so wise already and it helps me be better. Happy Mother's day. When we love being mothers then we can better celebrate Mother's day with our daughters and mothers trusting that we are serving our families the Lord's way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciated your thoughts in the comment section, Karen:

    "There are times when we need alone time with God. These things are not done to "get away" from motherhood though. Drawing closer to god and thereby being a better mother is the motivation - not having more "me" time and finding myself outside my family."

    I've found that in order to be the best mother I can be, daily alone time with God is crucial! I like to have my "alone time" where my children can see me reading the scriptures, pondering, writing in my gratitude journal, reading good books...doing whatever brings the spirit. I want them to know that their mommy spents time with God each day. It's a habit I most assuredly want them to develop in their lives as well---daily alone time with God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words are beautiful, and probably could not come at a better time.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your journey was similar to mine in some ways. I especially love what you wrote in the comments about alone time with God not being a get-away from family. Sister Beck stated something similar in her address to the 2011 BYU Women's Conference (hopefully the transcripts come out soon!). The quote as I wrote it said, "Am I aligned with what God wants for me and my family - or am I trying to escape my duties?" That is a great question to ask with every activity and endeavor I find myself persuing.

    ReplyDelete