Sunday, November 22, 2009

We're Going to be Okay - Amazing Friendships

I had a thought last night about how much good there must be in the world even though it sometimes seems to be drowned out by the loud voices of not-so-good all around us...

We drove to Idaho yesterday to spend time with some friends we have from when we lived in Texas - Nathan, Amy, Elle, Ava and Rock.  They are moving to San Diego in a couple of weeks so we thought we better go see them while they were still pretty close.

(I didn't bring my camera to Idaho so I'm stealing some of their family pictures)


They are currently staying with Nathan's parents while they waited for the results of his bar exam, and he could start his job in California.  Nathan's mom has made their home a really great place for her grandkids to visit.  They have story themes in every room, a story-land backyard, a beach-themed swimming pool (it was baby's first time swimming - he wasn't a big fan) and lots of games to play.  It was pretty amazing.  You can't help but feel transported into your imagination when you're there.  I put Ray down for a nap in the "Beauty and the Beast" room and I wanted to hang out there all day.  The shelves were lined with classic children's books and there was a comfy couch that invited you to sit and imagine.  Their home was a pretty magical place.

It was so great to see our friends again.  They are an amazing family.  They spent the last year in Europe and it was fun to hear their adventures.



Amy is one of the people that has influenced my life in many ways for good.  I admire them a lot.  Our Little Miss and their Elle were the best of friends when we lived in Texas and they had no trouble picking up where they left off.

Saying goodbye was hard again.  It seemed like we ought not be saying it.  Hopefully we can visit them in California.

I've had the privilege of knowing some really amazing people in the 10 moves we've made since we've been married.  As we were driving home last night, I thought about the friendships I've made and how much they have impacted my life.  I would be such a different person today if I hadn't had the opportunity to meet these amazing people who have helped me understand and see things in ways I hadn't thought of before.  They have impacted my life in a way that transformed me into  a different person than the one I was before I met them.

I thought "Wow, what a coincidence that the 10 places that we've lived in, happened to have some of the most amazing people in the world."  Then I thought, "Wait, maybe there are actually people like them everywhere".  It seems hard to believe, but it's definitely more probable than thinking that I just happened to live in the some of the few places in the world that they exist!  Think of it... if there are actually amazing people like my friends in all places - quietly living their lives, and impacting for good those around them through their words and example - then there is a huge force for good in this world.  I don't need to despair and fear for the world.  We're going to be okay.

Thank-you to all my friends who have enriched my life so deeply.  I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you moved to my neck of the woods, even if it was just for such a short time. You really helped me out a lot. I needed a friend whose house I could just crash at. ;)

    Really though, sorry for all those times I fell asleep at your place. I was still struggling with such anxiety and was so exhausted by it all the time. You're a really neat person and I'm so glad you started this blog because I have been inspired by your stories. You make me want to create a more unified home and get some structure going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you have inspired many people too.
    You are an amazing person and you have a beutiful family.

    ReplyDelete