Thursday, May 6, 2010

More Lists (Daily Tasks)

Someone made fun of all my lists the other day :-) I'll admit, I do like lists. It's nice to have something written down so I don't have to remind myself and others what needs to be done. I stopped using our previous "Daily Jobs" list because most of the things on it had become habit so I didn't need to have lists to remind us.  Also, as our life has become more simple, I don't need as many lists and schedules to keep track of things.

I now have 3 task lists: "Before Breakfast", "After Dinner", and "Going Out".  The children still set the table before every meal, clean the kitchen with me after every meal, and help with the laundry.  During family work time they help take care of the yard, do chores, help with meal preparation, and whatever else needs to be done, but the following are the things that are expected in addition to family work.
We've been using these lists for a few weeks and they have worked so well! The other day, we had to be somewhere at 9am - we were ready and the house was clean before we left. I could hardly believe it. My cute little children are becoming quite capable little people. I should add though, that the lists were not what caused the results. The lists are nice, but they wouldn't work if the children were not willing or able to do what the lists say. I'll write a different post later about what I've noticed about work and children and respect.   For now, here are our recent lists:

Check Back Lists:

Before Breakfast:
1. Personal Time
2. Make your bed
3. Clean your room
4. Tidy up cubbies or dresser
5. Tidy up closet
6. Tidy Zone*
7. Get dressed
8. Brush Hair
9. Check Little Ones
10. See what else mom needs**
11. Report to Mom

Going Out:
1. Pass off Clothes
2. Fix Hair
3. Socks
4. Tidy Zone
5. Check Pack -water bottle, book
6. Check Little Ones
7. Shoes
8. Help Little Ones with shoes
9. Use the bathroom
10. See what else mom needs
11. Report to Mom

After Dinner:
1. Clean the kitchen
2. Tidy Zone
3. Bath/PJs/Hair
4. Tidy Room
5. Brush Teeth
6. Tidy Bathroom
7. Get water bottle ready
8. Check Little Ones
9. Use the Bathroom
10. See what else mom needs
11. Report to mom

*I divided the house into zones.  Little Miss has the front room, the stairs that lead to the bedrooms, the hallway between bedrooms and the upstairs batrooms.  Bud has the basement which includes the stairs that lead down to it, the hallway, the toy room, and the family room.  Spice has the living room and the bathroom next to it.  It sounds like Spice has the easy job, but we spend most of our time in the living room so her zone tends to get the messiest.

The children are responsible for their zones.  This means that if people leave things out in someone else's zone, that person in charge of that zone has the responsibility to remind their sibling to put his/her things away or they may choose to put the things away for them.

**I can't tell you how nice it is when a child comes in my room with a sweet smile and asks, "What else do you need mom?"  It warms my heart.  Sometimes I'll ask them to start breakfast or help with the baby while I finish my morning things, but often the only thing I ask them for is a hug.  They are so sweet.

This post is part of my thoughts on teaching kids to work.

5 comments:

  1. Great lists! I love lists too, so I would never make fun of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've been following your blog for a little while now and I've been meaning to comment, but I usually read while I'm nursing my baby so I don't get a chance right away to comment. Then the things you've written sink into my brain more and more until we actually make changes in real life. Your blog has already been an inspiration for many changes. It's too late at night so I can't think of any now! But I want to thank you for all the effort you put in to writing about these changes your making. Sometimes I feel a little lonely in real life because none of my friends are making these types of changes, so it's a relief to read from others who are even more extreme than us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your lists! And I actually like how they change over time - it seems like you have become an expert at adjusting systems until they really work to fit your needs, instead of just giving up when the first grand plan doesn't work quite right. These current lists seem so efficient. I think my favorites are the "see what else mom needs" and "report to mom" tasks. That would be so wonderful! Man, I need you back in Texas so you can help me get things together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    You likely don't remember me, but we met in the UnschoolING group. I ended up moving to MN and now we are back in Utah. You shared your blog on the group back then and I have visited occasionally...I'm not an avid blog follower. But your family work series has been a huge help for us and now I am referring to your blog again as I start a new year. I really am in need of some refreshed goals. I would love a post on discipline and your family rules, what you do for teasing and conflict. I'm re-working, re-visiting, remembering the plan we have, but I'd love for some support and or ideas, or a reference to a post already written. I blog at farmgirl.hazubu.com if you want to remember who I am. I had three children while at Utah, and three more in 4 years in MN. We chatted at the library once and I met you at that woman's house who had 10 kids. I'm Emily. You are a very special gal and mother. I loved something I skimmed through on why you do things, trying to do it all for Heavenly Father, each aspect of our lives. I just love that, and maybe that idea can help where I've hit an overwhelming feeling lately. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete