Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Most Influential Person in my Life

I have read some powerful books that have influenced my life.  I have heard discourses on things of eternity that have inspired me to reach higher.  I have had insightful teachers who taught me truth and encouraged me to search for more.  I have met amazing people who's examples have impacted my life greatly.  I will be eternally grateful for good and inspiring people who have been instruments in God's hands in helping me grow closer to Him.

No one, however, has influenced me for good or shaped my life nearly as much as my angelic mom. 

My mom is quick to tell you how many mistakes she made in raising her children.  She talks about how difficult it was to get her teaching degree because she had to hear about all of the right ways to raise children and she felt bad about all of the things that she had done wrong.  She doesn't even realize that she was perfect!

I have a theory.  I think that the more selfless-love that a mother has for her children, the more influence she will have in their life for good.  My mom was perfect in her love. 

My mom's childhood was not ideal.  She suffered much, much abuse.  She suffered through much hunger.  She suffered most from a lack of love and acceptance, from an intense need to feel cared about.   Someday I would like to write here about her story.  Most people can't imagine what some children have to go through. 

Some people would tell you that you can't really love others until you learn to love yourself first.  My mom would prove them wrong.  She had none of what people call "self-esteem" when she became a mother (she still has very little of that self love), but oh how she loved her children!  There has never been a sacrifice too great for her to make for one us.  She gave us everything she had - everything she was.   If she went to the store to buy something she needed, she would often return, instead, with some silly thing that her children thought that they wanted. 

She personifies humility, love, and selflessness.  Her example lights the path for me toward true happiness, towards Christ.  Some people have to grope in the dark as they try to find their way.  Her eyes have been windows to His love.  Her hands have been tools for His service.

My mom might question some of her methods, but she could never have doubts about her motives.  None of us ever could.  If I can say the same thing of myself someday, I will know I have succeeded in this life.

This morning, as I was tying my little boy's shoes, I felt a sense of honor in who I was and what I was doing.  I owe that sense to my mother.  She taught me, through her example, that there is nothing more majestic, more royal, more godly than being a mother.

----------------------------------------------
Little Spice wrote a beautiful poem for me today.  Here is what she wrote in her card:

Dear, Mom I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so much and way way more.  I hope you have a great mothers day!  You are the best mom in the whole world!

I wanted to write a poem for you.

My mom is grand
She is the best in the land
She helps me everywhere
like helping with math or doing my hair.
Better she's helping all of us be
each year each month weekly and daily
She always comforts me when I'm sad,
and gives me a hug when I'm mad.
Tells me the difference between wright and between wrong
and at nightime she always sings me a song.
If I tell you all the things she does for me
this poem would be soooo long you see
It's hard to ryme all those things and such
but I love my mom so very much
My mom is grand
She's the best in the land.

The other kids drew me pictures and wrote a little something as well. I'll have to take a picture of them and attach them to this post later. Here is what they wrote:

Bud:
Happy muthers day. Yor the best mom I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much
Little Miss:
Happy mothers day! U R THE BEST MOM IN THE WORD

Bazinks (with help):
Happy mother's day.

I sure love those little kids.  Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this. Mom is the greatest. I hope that she knows how much she means to us. I think I'll write to her to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spice is right - you are the best in the land! What a sweet, tender poem. I love the notes from your other kids, too.

    You are certainly following in your mother's footsteps in being a righteous example to your children.

    ReplyDelete