Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Bazinks!

I think it's about time I get around to writing a birthday post for Bazinks.  These are important to me because I want to look back and remember what the kids were up to during their particular birthdays.  I'm not very good at writing down the cute things they say and then I always forget them when I'm trying to recall them later, so hopefully these birthday posts will help spark some memories as they get older.

Bazinks in now five years old.  He acts quite a bit older though - like a little man sometimes.  He gets embarrassed easily when he is laughed at so I think it makes him very careful about what he says and he comes across as sounding older than he is.  He's very observant and he likes to make jokes about what he observes.  Much to my amazement (compared to 6 months ago) he is turning to a rather responsible little boy and becoming much more helpful around the house.  He loves washing dishes with me and watching the "whirlpool" when we let the water out.

He is also very, very good at sharing.  He never gets a treat without sharing it with everyone - and if it's a small treat (like a lifesaver) he'll bite it into tiny pieces and give a little piece to everyone.  It makes him so sad to see others sad and he'll often cry if someone else is crying - especially if he thinks something is unfair.  He also works very hard to make sure I'm comfortable at night and brings me extra blankets and pillows just to make sure.

One of his favorite things to do is arithmatic problems in his head.  He's pretty good at it and he surprises us sometimes.  Like the other day, Spice was doing some math online and she started talking to herself as she was figuring out a problem.  As she was working through it she said, "7 times 9, I can't remember 7 times 9... 6 times 9 is 54 so if I add 9 more..."  Bazinks blurted out, "63".  We both looked at him in surprise and laughed.  I asked him, "How did you know that?"  "I just guessed," he replied.  I went outside just now to ask him a few questions to put on this post:

He's so cute isn't he?   A few nights ago he made me laugh because he took a math workbook with him to bed so he could look at it and figure out the problems.  What kind of a kid does that?  I thought it was pretty funny.  We'll see where this love of numbers takes him.

We "woke him up" as always by singing him a birthday song and opening presents.  He got a water gun, sandals, a candy bar, and some sand toys.  He also got a "wiggle car" later on that day from his grandma and grandpa.  He loves it. 

Reading his card from Ray

Reading his card from Bud
Opening presents
He picked his favorite meals for the day: Lucky Charms for breakfast (this is strictly a birthday food!), German pancakes for lunch, and spaghetti for dinner.
Lucky Charms - at least there's a green smoothie to go with it right?
He wanted cookies instead of cake for his dessert that night.  He wanted to save his birthday cake for when we took him to "a bouncy place" the following day.  My mom, dad and brother drove up for his special day.  It was specially nice of them since my mom came straight over after arriving at the airport from a trip to Florida to see another one of my brothers and his family.  She was very tired, but we're glad she made it!
A nice picture of his uncle teasing him.
Here's a better picture of my brother so he's not mad at me for the one above :-)
Nevermind, he'll be mad at  me for both of them ;-)
Caught cleaning frosting off his face with his suit coat.
Ray sharing a candle
The "bouncy place" the following day:










Happy birthday to my sweet, sweet little boy!!!

3 comments:

  1. He is so adorable and brilliant! I'm so impressed with his math skills - it is always so much fun to me to see kids get excited about numbers and math - I love how in the video you can just see his little mind clicking away. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's Maile from New Jersey! Your son is so sweet. He reminds me of my son, who will be 5 in August. He's also a really great sharer and a really sweet little boy. I was so worried when I was pregnant with him, not knowing what to expect by having a son, but I've come to appreciate so much all the amazing sweetness that can come from little boys!

    ReplyDelete