Monday, January 31, 2011

Learning Practical Wisdom

I heard someone say the other day (somewhat in jest) that the Bible tells you the rules or commandments in the first few pages and then goes on to show how you can break all the rules.  Of course this isn't totally true, there are plenty of examples of how obedience brings blessings, but I did think there was an element of truth in what he said (sometimes people were commanded to kill, etc)

My initial thought was that the reason for this is because Heavenly Father gives us commandments to keep us safe, but then expects us to follow the Spirit because that is how we grow and learn.  We are not expected to just be puppets following a script of behavior all of the time (isn't that what the Pharisees tried to do?)

I listened to this interesting TED talk the other day.  He gives several great examples about the importance of using practical wisdom.  He talks about the difference between simply following the rules and truly choosing wisely.  Watch it if you get a chance, it's very thought provoking.


He convinced me that this "practical wisdom" is something that is desperately needed in our world today.  I asked myself, "How do I teach my children this practical wisdom?"  The answer was simple.  They learn it from the scriptures.  The scriptures are full of stories in which people have to make difficult decisions and then they explain how they go about making the right one.  They show example after example in how to develop the ability of making the right choice under any circumstance.  They are a powerful, essential took in learning how to live in this sometimes perplexing world.

I have sometimes shared something with someone that I was inspired to do with our children (and every family is different so it doesn't mean that it is necessarily something someone else should do with theirs), but the person that I'm sharing it with might make some sort of comment like, "If the prophet thought that was so important, he would say something about it at conference," or something along those lines.  I wonder why we sometimes think that the leaders of the church are expected to give us some sort of script to follow and all we have to do is follow that script.  Didn't the Lord say, "Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you."?

A man came to our ward to give us the 5th Sunday lesson yesterday.   I was so impressed with it.  He mentioned that if the only time we are receiving revelation for our family is twice a year during general conference then we are living below our privilege of having direct revelation from God about the stewardship He has blessed us with.  One of the things he said was that he has pictured himself talking to Heavenly Father and when asked why he didn't do something he might reply, "You never told me to."  To which God might reply, "You never asked".

Anyway, I am going to work harder at being anxiously engaged in a good cause while being a diligent seeker of truth and guidance for myself and my children.  I don't want to waste this short, precious time I have with my children.  I know I could do better.  I'm going to work really hard on it today!

5 comments:

  1. It's like that scripture from the D&C that says we should not be commanded in all things. We need to take initiative, of course checking in to make sure our initiative is correct, but we still have come to Heavenly Father with our ideas, not just passively wait for inspiration to magically strike us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had similar reactions so many times. I don't understand why very few people get excited about the promises that we can know more. I have so much fun asking questions! It amazes me every time I get answers- sometimes they are so immediate I get the sense that He's been right there hoping I'd ask all along! Even with my enthusiasm, I don't do it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been out of blogging for awhile, but have loved getting caught up on all your latest posts! My biggest sadness right now is that we didn't see you when we were in Utah - the first week was taken up with family things, and then we all got bronchitis the second week. We will have to try again. Anyway, I know I always say this, but you really are one of my favorite people (and favorite bloggers - I love everything you write). Thanks for always being such a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, you have written a thought provoking post that echoes my recent thoughts. (See what I wrote today.) :0) It is easy to be distracted by all of our "To-Do's" and then lose sight of the essentials for each day. Satan really does want us to be distracted and become overwhelmed and confused and lose our ability to think and see our way clearly! It think this is why it is SO important to prepare ourselves now, for future uncertainty! Thank goodness that with the gospel, nothing is ever too uncertain! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Striving to understand how I am living beneath my privledges in an on going goal of mine. We must be constantly seeking God's help and not think that we must be commanded in all things from the prophet.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete