Sunday, April 18, 2010

About Your Concerns

"Our society provides so many distractions that unless we make the time and effort to extract ourselves from them, the voice of the Spirit may not get through to us." -Yoshihiko Kikuchi
Some people have expressed some concern for my children regarding this "minimalist" lifestyle that we are trying to pursue.  I have been involved in some conversations in person, in a homeschooling yahoo group, on facebook, and here.  I am grateful for your comments.  I am learning a lot from people's wonderful examples and insights.  I am also really grateful to the people who expressed reservations about it, because I know they are expressing them out of genuine concern and love.  If they were not, they would just have fun talking about my craziness to others.  Through these conversations, I have realized the need to clarify a few things that I wasn't very clear on.  Also, since I really do want what is best for my children, I would love to hear what it is, exactly, that people are concerned that my children will miss.  If you respond, please be specific.  I don't want to hear things like "Being in the real world" - instead, try to say what specific part of "being in the world" that you think they are missing and why you think it is important that they have it.

I think I will copy and paste some of the concerns I have heard and some of my responses and insert some explanations, but first of all, I would like to clarify something important:

I do not think that all recreation and every activity we pursue needs to be religious.  I can see why people thought I felt this way when I said,

"The fact is that everything does serve a purpose - whether we recognize it or not.  Everything that we do brings us closer to truth or distracts us away from it.  Some activities can do either, depending on the state of our heart.  Recreation has a purpose.  Is what we are choosing to do for fun distracting us from God or leading us closer to Him?"

It would be a bit fanatical to say that we must only do religious things.  What I meant to say was that we should do things that are real.  But real things lead us to truth, which inevitably leads us to God.

What do I mean by real? Real things are those that help us see ourselves as we really are,  those around us as they really are, and our environment (God's creations) as it really is.  In this I am including all things that help us find that truth - religion, science, mathematics, philosophy, relationships, art, music, history, etc.
As we consider various choices, we should remember that it is not enough that something is good. Other choices are better, and still others are best. Even though a particular choice is more costly, its far greater value may make it the best choice of all.

Consider how we use our time in the choices we make in viewing television, playing video games, surfing the Internet, or reading books or magazines. Of course it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it. Some things are better, and others are best. When the Lord told us to seek learning, He said, “Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom (D&C 88:118)" -Dallin H. Oaks
That being said, what we do for fun CAN be real. It is either real, or it is a distraction from the real. Do you see this? Let me explain it a little better.  I was ragging on movies earlier because it is hard for them to make a lasting effect on us (they are too easy - we are spoon-fed the message, and often we don't take time to discuss it and internalize it.  Also, they often bombard our senses with stimulation which can desensitize us to the more subtle messages around us) However, sometimes we do not have the mental or physical energy to pursue something more difficult (and subsequently more rewarding and of greater value) so we sit down to enjoy a good, uplifting show together...

Is this real? Yes! We are experiencing something together - so we bond - and RELATIONSHIPS are REAL. What if we are watching it on our own?  It can also be real because, if it is uplifting (and, by the way, that can include happy, funny or sad movies),  it is causing us to look inward and want to change.  It would be even more lasting and meaningful if we could sit down to read a good book together... but I'm getting off my point here...

How do I know if an activity is worth mine or my children's time? How do I know if it is real? Real things will get us to look inward at our character or to look outward at our relationships - including our relationship to God (that is where finding the truth about our environment fits in - He created it).

SO... what I am trying to do in my home is to remove the stuff that I put there that distracts us from the real, or that creates an artificial gain with no work involved.
"We need to make our homes a place of refuge from the storm, which is increasing in intensity all about us. Even if the smallest openings are left unattended, negative influences can penetrate the very walls of our homes" -L. Tom Perry
Snow barricade last week (it's a beautiful spring day today)

I hope I have cleared up what I was trying to say.  Let me know if you don't agree.  Now for my comments about some concerns and questions (some of these questions were general ones to a group, I'm posting my responses here in case anyone has a similar question or is interested):

Concern:
It seems like you are trying to create this unrealistic ... or maybe even an unreasonable bubble for your family. One that isn't preparing your kids for the real world. They aren't pioneers. And someday they have to move out of that bubble. Then what? You guys are great parents and are doing an awesome job of preparing them for heaven, but you also need to prepare them for the world they live in. Let your kids be kids :)

My Reply:
I brought things into my home to keep my children entertained (even though most of that entertainment was supposed to be educational) and those things distracted them from finding the real things that they love and are passionate about. As I remove those things, they are starting to fall in love with real beauty and happiness.  I think when they go out into the world, they will recognize the artificial for what it is - I know I do - and the artificial is not even tempting to me, now that I've had a taste of the real type of happiness.

I think this "bubble" we're living in IS the reality and the stuff the "real world" is focusing on is the artificial. I'm trying to give them enough of the real so that they won't be fooled.
Is there a generation today that needs to be superficially entertained? What is the prospect of a young man sitting in a dorm on Friday evening to read a great book and be thrilled by the music of the masters? Is Friday evening a frenetic flight to see where the entertainment and action will be? Could our society today produce an Isaac Newton or a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Can 85 channels and uncountable DVDs ever fill our insatiable appetite to be entertained? Do any unwisely become addicted to computer games or Internet surfing, thereby missing the richer experiences of great reading, conversations, and enjoyment of music? - Douglas L. Callister

Kids do need to play and they do need a few toys, but we, as a society, have really gone crazy with the things that we think we need to have - and often we think they are good for us when, really, they are wasting our thoughts, time and space.

I don't think my kids are going to be ruined if they get a little Wii time or play with mindless push-a-button toys, but I think they will be free to experience better things if I don't put these things in their way.

Also, I can not completely shelter them from the world. They do get out and see what is out there. We discuss a lot of sad things that have happened in the world and how people came to make those choices. They understand that there is a lot of "fluff" in the world - they see it all the time, but they know that there are better things. My hope is that they will always know it, and I think they'll have a pretty good chance if their foundation is based on reality.

Concern:
Keri says she is making her home real, but really she is just making it so boring that the child is forced to read a book.

My reply:
The difference between "making a home real" so that children can see and feel the beauty that surrounds them vs. making a home so boring that the children have nothing better to do, is that the distracting things we put in our home were not part of the children's natural environment in the first place.  Again, we are really only getting rid of distractions - or obstacles to learning and growth - that we placed there. Realizing this made getting rid of things easier for me.

Question:
I know the reasons why screens are harmful to children (and adults), I totally believe in no screens and yet I'm not living that life. Will someone please encourage me to just cut it out totally? Or at least go back to just watching a little on the weekend?

My Reply:
"We need the slower and more lasting stimulus of solitary reading as a relief from the pressure on eye, ear and nerves of the torrent of information and entertainment pouring from ever-open electronic jaws" -Douglas L. Callister
When my older kids were in school, a couple of years ago, I let my little ones watch TV while I got the work done.  When I look back on it, the real reason I turned on the TV was because I felt guilty about not wanting to give them all of the attention that they wanted from me.

I would do things differently now because I now see that there is nothing wrong with letting them be bored and finding something to do without me. In fact, it's good for them. You don't have to entertain you children all of the time. We live in a world where we think children need constant stimulation, so we buy all sorts of things to keep them entertained and educated, but we're going about it all wrong. They need to be bored so that they will look inward and find the creativity and inner drive that is waiting for them there.
Little Miss - thinking of something to do

Spice - building a barricade
Concern:
All things in moderation... I understand the ideas behind all of this, just realize is seems that it is becoming more and more extreme. And that is what has me worried. I feel that one of these days I will read to find that you have all decided to quit celebrating holidays, birthdays,... no sports, no movies, no technology!! haha Ok, Ok, so maybe not technology...

My Reply:
This is interesting because I think what I am striving for is moderation. It seems that we, as a people, have become so extreme in the amount of stuff we own, in how often we seek entertainment, in how much we waste, that real "moderation" now seems extreme. Even though I am not planning on living in a Quaker style - I do think that those Quakers build some pretty solid characters :-) Our current society fosters weak and flimsy characters that feel entitled to "stuff" that they don't work for. I think you sort of just have to be weird in this day and age if you want something different.

I smiled when I saw the remark about holidays because, in truth,  I have been thinking about how to make our holidays more meaningful and not about the stuff...

Question:
Why no craft room?

My Reply:
I will write soon about the reasons for not allowing my children to waste resources and what I have seen that my children are becoming because of it.

Question:
So now after reading the article, (which I really liked by the way) I’m curious to know specifically what were the changes you made and the results you saw.

My Reply:
(This reply might cause some more concern, but I'm going to post it anyway, I'll highlight, in bold letters, what it was that got me to make some changes - because when I read this through, after I wrote it - I saw a pattern)

I heard Keri Tibbets speak at the TJED forum.  What she said rung true to me, but seemed little extreme. I went home and got rid of all of our battery powered toys and several more. I wasn't about to get rid of the legos or the loose paper though.

The kids didn't notice things looked different (they didn't play with those battery toys much anyway). For free time, they chose to make "cards" and used lots of sheets of paper. I wasn't really at peace with this use of their creative energies. I didn't see a whole lot that they were learning. The next day, I got rid of loose paper. They got out their sketchbooks and started drawing nicer pictures because the pictures felt more permanent (they aren't allowed to tear the paper out either). I decided I would let them make cards on special occasions, but not just for fun.

Another day, the boys played with their nerf guns for most of their free time. I didn't quite feel peaceful about that either. I realized that we really didn't need most of the toys in the toy room, so I had the children pick their 10 most favorite toys and we got rid of almost all the rest. I felt so liberated and peaceful. I couldn't get rid of the legos, but I put them and the nerf guns in storage to get out on special occasions - out of sight, out of mind sort of a thing.
Resting before they go to war

The next day they played "French Revolution"in the back yard with sticks and snow-barricades. I don't know why, but I felt very peaceful about it. The following day, my oldest asked me for cursive lessons (she doesn't know some of the letters), and my 6-year old daughter asked me for drawing lessons, I told them I would set up a time to have them. Then they wrote in their journals and sketched some pictures. The boys played Stratego.

Stratego felt like a distraction, so a little later, I put the games in a closet in the basement to be used on some evenings for family time (except Chess, Grammar Punk, and Balderdash because those are hard enough that they don't get a thrill with no effort). The next day, my oldest directed a play during free time and they all participated. I'm not sure why, but I felt peaceful with this also. I was also happy with the quality of the play - their plays are not usually so well planned and executed.

That is about where I am with it now. The next day, my 8-year old son picked up the Encyclopedia of World History, that has been in our bookshelf for years, and looked up all he could about the French Revolution, he also read a book about Gettysburg. My oldest daughter read Where the Sidewalk Ends multiple times wrote a few poems.  My 6-year old read Winnie the Pooh to her 4-year old brother and then they made a fort in the play room and played.

It's hard to explain how peaceful my home feels now. Things just feel right. That's why I wanted to share it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Did you see the pattern in that last reply? I know, dumb question. I'm noticing that I need to trust my feelings when something doesn't feel quite right and then change it.  I'm not saying that everyone has to get rid of the same things I am getting rid of, but I think we could all benefit from looking at our lives, finding things that are distracting us, and removing them (or placing them in a proper place in our lives).

Remember how I wrote about how I was feeling like I was in a rut a little while ago? That is because it was time for a change! As soon as I started making the changes I needed to make - I felt alive and energetic again. I'm learning to just trust my peaceful and anxious feelings.  Bonus:  Those feelings are becoming more clear now that I am getting rid of distractions....

21 comments:

  1. "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held it's ground." -Anonymous
    has become my new mantra. :)
    We started purging because we live in a small house that doesn't fit lots of "stuff" and we found there was a spiritual element to it. The less distracting things in our lives, the happier we've been. I really like reading other blogs that are finding the same thing, regardless of the motive. (btw, I found you from Lazy's site)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have too much stuff/junk and am all for purging. But I find a lot of things way too extreme for me. I think each person needs to do what they feel is best, so I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong or right.
    I have a lot of the concerns that you addressed. The one about the bubble I think is a big one. You say that you can recognize the real from the fake. But you have also lived in the real world (I assume.. since you are just making these changes, that you didn't grow up in a bubble). I worry that any kids that are sheltered from the "real" world, once out in it will have a hard time. That doesn't mean we need to let them do everything and experience everything, but we also don't need to protect them from everything. (again- the extreme). I had a roommate who never was allowed sugar cereal growing up. So what did she eat every single breakfast (and sometimes lunch)when away at college? Frosted Flakes. Or the kid that isn't allowed tv at home, watches it all day at someone elses. They need moderation.
    Also- it is possible to have a holiday with fun and still keep the meaning of the holiday. I grew up with both and recognize the importance of both. Please don't stop celebrating birthdays and holidays!
    I like a lot of the talks that you quote, but again, I don't think that they are saying to go to the extremes that a lot of you seem to be going to.
    Anyways.. those are my thoughts. But again- I think you need to do what you feel is best. There are things I want to implement, so I enjoy reading, but just not to the extreme. I want my kids to have a public education (gasp) and to watch some tv and movies. But to also read books and play and imagine and have fun.
    Oh, and I also think there are lots of skills learned from playing with puzzles, or toys, and doing crafts, that are so important for developing minds and bodies.
    Sorry for the long comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea -
    I won't stop celebrating holidays :-) I love them. I am curious though, what is it that children need to develop from puzzles and crafts that they can't develop doing activities that contribute? I've been thinking about this and I can't come up with anything, so I'm curious what people think.

    I agree that you can't protect your children from everything, and as they grow older, they will be exposed to more and more. I just think that right now, when they are young and their characters are taking shape - the more good things they have in their lives the better.

    Again, there are no "bubbles" in this world. My kids are exposed to the world because they live in it, but I think my home should be a refuge and a haven with the least amount of worldliness possible.
    I have heard of people who "binge" on screen time or sugar once they are able to get their hands on it, but I think it has more to do with weak characters than with the availability of the vice.

    I also know people who were not allowed to do certain things as children and were not in the least bit tempted to try them as adults. I also know people who did try it, realized the difference between that and how they felt when they were good, and returned to doing what was good. I think it has a great deal to do with testimony and strength of character and not much to do with exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome K. I think you're doing the right thing. Your kids will be better for it. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your blog. I especially appreciate this last post. I can definitely see the benefit of what you are doing. It makes me think back to when we were in Switzerland and Kenzi's kindergarten teacher conducted a 3 week expirament. Basically, they removed everything from the classroom except furniture and scarfs and clothes pins. Of the 3 hours, they only used 30 minutes for instruction and then they left the kids to figure out how to spend the rest of the time. It was so interesting to see the effect it had on Kenzi. She learned more of the language in those three weeks than she had in months. She made friends and learned to communicate better. I was kind of skeptical about the whole thing at first, but the effects really were amazing. Her teacher told me about advances with all the other children in the same areas of relationships, language, communication, creativity, etc. Then after the three weeks were over, they reintroduced a few of the old things into the classroom at a tie until everything was back. Then the teachers evaluated what could be done without because it wasn't the best use of time and got rid of it. Just imagine what would happen in the public school rooms in the USA if they did that!
    Anyway, I commend you for your efforts, because I can see that it has definitely got to be QUITE and effort on your part. I believe you are building the character of your children and the world needs more parents like you. You've certainly inspired me to make some changes and I will keep reading your blog to stay motivated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the journey you are on. As I read I 'feel at peace' with the things I am reading. You are doing great things for the right reasons. It helps to know others are out there jumping in to new ideas for our day that have old foundations of truth. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep going and keep following your heart! You're doing the right thing for your family and I love hearing about it. You are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are too many points in this post for me to comment on but once again you did an excellent job of explaining yourself for those with a willing and open heart. Most people can't hear it because they don't want to. The scriptures can say "Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matthew 5:48) and yet people will still tell me that I'm trying to be too perfect. When the Lord and Prophets say things like, “Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom (D&C 88:118)" and "We need to make our homes a place of refuge from the storm, which is increasing in intensity all about us. Even if the smallest openings are left unattended, negative influences can penetrate the very walls of our homes" I think they mean it!

    And I would also like to know what children can learn from puzzles and wasting paper and other resources that they can't learn any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What you learn from wasting paper - how to use scissors? I mean sure, you do need scissors for other things, but how often do small children get a chance to practice.
    Now for my real comment-
    "Keri says she is making her home real, but really she is just making it so boring that the child is forced to read a book." ROFLOL! There are large chunks of childhood I don't recall and from talking to my sister I suspect it is because I was reading (and not because there was nothing else to do). In fact we discussed limiting reading time.
    I do think real moderation is becoming more and more difficult to recognize. I was reading in Mere Christianity and his analogies about food, the outlandish examples he uses have almost become commonplace now. It reminds me of the story/parable about the frog and boiling water. If you try to put him straight into boiling water he would jump right out, but if you put him in cool water and increase the temperature slowly he will be cooked before he knows it. I think our culture is being slowly 'cooked' and it takes a lot of effort to recognize that and jump out of the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your reply.
    I love that you said it's more about character than exposure. Why did I never think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is the last verse of our opening Hymn this morning...I actually started crying, because it made me think of what I've been reading here on your blog the last couple of days, and also posting back.

    Here we meet with friends and neighbors; Parents too are in the throng,
    We are earnest in our labors, To God's Kingdom we belong,
    Trials make our faith grow stronger; Truth is nobler than a crown.
    We will brave the tempest longer Tho the world up on us frown.

    It's interesting that I came on to say something in particular..and someone else said it first..it was Lara, when she said...Most people can't hear it, because they don't want to..also they can't see things a certain way, because they would rather see it their way, they just don't want to make the change. It's easier to just have fun, and not serve others, which I believe very strongly, is a huge path to happiness. I'm one of those that did certain things that I hadn't done in my earlier years, but went back to the way I was...I would like to think it was because I gained a real testimony. :)
    I've always liked the frog in the pot story. I think that the adversary has done a pretty good job at working with things in this world to find ourselves..all of a sudden in trouble. T.V. back in the 50's are certainly different from what is seen now..movies, oh dear! Each movie that has a continuing...is usually a bit worse than the last, a bit more violent, more swearing, well, more of everything that we wouldn't have liked years before. He's been slowly boiling up a storm on a lot of other worldly "things" too.
    Karen, I like your blog, I personally like it better without what seems to be debates. Tell your Quest in life, and we will love you for who you are, and a lot of us will take away a lot of good sensible truths..as the song said, you are, a parent in the throng, earnest in your labors, and knowing that truth is nobler than a crown.
    Love you, GW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen...found you through Lara's blog also. I have read the headgates articles and while I don't agree with *everything* I am finding ideas that I enjoy and it resonates with a lot of *gut feeling* I've had over the few years raising my children and homeschooling.

    I love the way you explain things and defend your your thinking. Looking forward to reading more posts. :)

    @Alysia Thomas Photography - that is what led me into homeschooling...the preschools I visited immediately hit me as way too much stimulation, not to mention filled with so many artificial things. That was 5 or 6 years ago and I COULD NOT explain myself to anyone. It was a gut feeling. The only ones I liked were Montessori and Waldorf. My husband refused to pay the outlandish price for MOntessori, and Waldorf came with some spiritual beliefs that made me uncomfortable...so we kept my daughter at home. And the next year...and the next..and the next. :) I generally despise the educational classroom for children and often wonder why some homeschooling parents feel the need to turn their home or at least a room, into a colorful, educational toy laden "schoolroom".
    It was like Karen said....that environment *gave me no peace* and I walked away agitated. It is no wonded there are so many hyper ADD diagnosed kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kudos to you Karen! As I continue on this journey I have found nothing but peace. As I've studied my core books I have also found nothing but peace. For my family this is the right journey.

    To me this is an issue about Zion and Babylon. Elder Christofferson said in a recent address that "Zion will come because we built it." What does that mean? What does that look like? For my family fleeing to Zion is happening as I distance myself from the noise of Babylon. Society has brainwashed me into believing so many untruths about what my kids should and should not have. And what I, has an adult, am entitled too. Much to think about.

    Everyone's journey will be different however. I enjoy hearing the great ideas.

    IMHO Karen you should stop trying to defend your choices. You are doing the right things for your family. Be secure in that and stop looking behind you-go forward. : ) I think you're great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen...I have always loved and admired you...I still do very much! I admire so many things that you are doing and hope that I can become just as good of a mom and dedicate myself so much to doing good for my children. You are awesome! I do however have a few concerns about some of your latest conquests or rather the excessiveness in areas of your conquests. I would like to share a few more things with you later, but for now I wanted to respond to the topic of puzzles, etc. and your concern that they don't "contribute" and are a waste of their creative/learning time.
    Learning should be fun! People tend to learn more when it is fun. Puzzles are fun and doing a jigsaw comes with a range of mental and physical benefits. They can help children develop and boost certain key skills that will be useful to them as they proceed through school and on into later life. These include:
    • Puzzles can help develop a child's reasoning and problem solving skills. Even the simplest jigsaw will require them to think about what they do as they try to put the puzzle together.
    • Puzzles can also help a child to develop their fine motor skills when they are young. Having to pick up individual pieces and slot them into place without breaking up the bits they have already completed can be a complex task to learn. But, it can reinforce some skills that are essential to their development.
    • Putting a puzzle together will also work on the child's hand-eye co-ordination and their understanding of shapes and colours.
    • The subjects on puzzles can also be used as educational aids. An alphabet or number puzzle, for example, will be fun for the child to complete but is also a good opportunity for a parent to chat to them about letters and numbers and to reinforce learning.
    • Solving a puzzle can do wonders for a child's self-esteem. As puzzles get more challenging for them they also learn useful life skills such as seeing things through to completion and trying different approaches to problem solving
    One of the biggest benefits for children here is the fact that puzzles are fun. Many children will resist learning at home if they know it is happening. Enjoying making up a puzzle, however, could mask the fact that they are also having an educational experience.
    Many also believe that there are some real benefits to doing jigsaws, especially as people get older. These include:
    • Doing jigsaw puzzles can keep the mind active. Relaxing and fun as puzzles may be they will also involve the use of specific areas of the brain and a variety of mental skills. Many people find that one of the bonuses of puzzling is that it helps keep their minds active and alert.
    • Jigsaws can also be used positively from a physical perspective as people get older. Many find, for example, that doing a jigsaw regularly, even for just a few minutes a day, can be a useful way of promoting manual dexterity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another long one sorry on "waste" and the important of crafts and the arts.
    It’s important not to “waste” things. We should limit the amount of waste. One way a friend of mine does that is by bringing home paper from work that is going to be thrown out and using the back side of old documents. You can also recycle the waste. That being said, having the opportunity to use a limited supply of scrap paper and other scrap resources is also helpful in developing bodies and minds.
    By doing crafts and other arts:
    • expand their creativity
    • develop manual dexterity
    • learn how to follow instructions
    • contribute to development of academic skills
    • enhance and complement basic reading skills, language development and writing skills
    • access multiple intelligences
    • develop higher thinking skills
    • enhance multicultural understandings
    • build self esteem
    • gain positive emotional responses to learning
    • engage through a variety of learning styles
    • Learn to express themselves in different ways – not just verbally. Can help those who have difficulty expressing themselves
    • important learning and transference can take place
    • Artistic learning experiences accommodate children with different learning styles and also those students with emotional needs or behavioral problems

    Children wonder at the world, and they look and touch and listen as they learn more about their surroundings. For this reason we have to provide activities that can encourage children to make images, to explore their thoughts and ideas, and to communicate their thinking to themselves and others.
    It’s not a waste if a child is learning.

    When I was younger my parents let me involve myself in some things that would have been considered to some as “wasteful”. Often times I was able to use scrap paper, paper bags, food, etc. to create things. For example: I would use scrap paper, paper bags, etc to make clothes for my sister and I. Creating those things and wasting those products allowed me to learn by planning and implementing those ideas. As I got older I started to use more permanent materials like fabric. To this day I create things without patterns. It gives me a wider range of possibilities, uses my talents and I am often able to do things cheaper and be resourceful. All the creativity also led me to a Graphic Design Degree.
    My parents also let me explore in other areas like the kitchen. I was able to “waste” some food (of course this too was limited and supervised) as I created meals and treats. It has lead me to be more creative and confident in the kitchen as I left home and now as I have a family. I am very grateful for all those things/opportunities I was given as a child to “waste”. I was able to explore, fail and eventually succeed. I have seen the difference in my friend as his household did not allow those things. He and his siblings were frustrated, lacked confidence without being hand held or told what to do, and insecure in their abilities. He has had to explore, learn and develop as and adult which has been much harder.
    There are benefits and value to a lot of things we wouldn’t immediately think have benefit or value to them. We have to look at it from a different perspective, sometimes a long term perspective to see them. There is a purpose to everything and everything has it’s time and place. Moderation in all things is absolutely important. Though there is also a time for excess when you are to succeed and master a particular thing, skill, or subject.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate the time it took for those of you to make the lists of things you can learn from puzzles and crafts but I still didn't see anything that can't be learned through relationships and purposeful activities around the house.

    Creating art is a very useful learning activity that is wonderful as the child matures and has a desire to work and create real beauty. I just don't see any reason for a small child to "practice" using scissors. Why? When they are older and have a real need to use scissors I'm sure they will be able to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I realized after posting my really long comment on crafts and the arts that I didn't clarify something. Yes, I know...it's amazing that in all that I left something out.
    I am aware that you want them to be involved in arts and crafts and to explore their talents and creativity. I find those things to be very important also and think that it is sad that so many parents don't help encourage their children in that direction or create and environment that cultivates it.
    The parts that I am concerned about were the fear of "waste" and the limits that are being placed on them. I fear that they will be limited in being creative and exploring their talents by putting heavy restrictions on things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just wanted to clarify that while I don't agree with all the specific choices you are making, I do think that children today have too many toys, too many clothes, too much time with electronic/T.V., too many yes's in life and not enough no's, etc.
    I don't think any thing you have said is harmful to your children, and it is your business/responsibility and not everyone else's. I am impressed with your willingness to answer questions and address concerns on the topic. I would just think "stuff it" and go on my merry way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate the different perspectives and the encouraging words.

    Alycia - what a great experience! I bet that was an interesting thing to be a part of. Thanks for sharing!

    Cynthia - I always love your reassuring comments. Thanks. I hope it's not sounding too debate-ish. I love hearing what other people have to say about things because it helps me clarify what I think and gives me a chance to see things from other perspectives. I'll try to keep it down though!

    Jenny- Oh how I miss you! We do need to talk soon. Thanks for taking the time to reply and express all these things. You did give me some interesting food for thought as I went through my afternoon evaluating your different points. I usually have to write things down before I have it all clear in my head, so don't be surprised if I write a post about some of these things soon.
    Did you read the headgates article? I know you mentioned that you read through my posts backwards so maybe you haven't seen it yet. I'm wondering what you think about the "wasting thrills" in crafts idea. Let me know if you get a chance to read it.
    We really do need to talk soon. I'd love to see some pictures of your little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I appreciate this discussion, as there are few outlets for thoughts like these, I find. I personally think you're right on with what you're doing. I have found that, like you, the more I simplify, the more sensitive I am to thoughts and feeling that guide me. And I am learning to trust them. I would say the one concern I have, myself, is making sure that I don't encourage undue pride or prejudice in my children where the lifestyles of other people are concerned. There's a delicate balance to be found. I want them to know that we choose to do what we do in our home because it brings us peace and happiness, but that you can't always judge another person's heart or "goodness" by the way that they live, how they spend their time- or by appearances (most of my children are still in core phase, so they often question good/bad, right/wrong with details like this.) I want them to learn to love and have good hearts, even more than I want them to be great "leaders" (although love and great leadership usually go hand in hand.) That, in my opinion, would be achieving their greatest potential. So, the one idea that keeps coming back to me is to teach them to serve, above all. Serve people of all colors, shapes and sizes and all walks of life. Our lifestyle is important right now, but it is only one means to an end. I want them to be able to value people and relationships over means- to know when people are worth exceptions from lifestyle principles: such as attending the family barbecue with cousins (full of every food we try to avoid), or going to a silly movie with Grandma and Grandpa- or any number of situations that come up in life where we need to be flexible for the sake of people we love. These are the things I think about...

    On another note- I wrote a post about puzzles, for what it's worth:

    http://petreyparty.blogspot.com/2010/04/in-defense-of-puzzles.html

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - so interested reading through all the comments. I don't think you've sounded defensive at all, Karen - just thoughtful and clarifying. And once again, everything you write makes sense to me. I love the idea of going by what feels right to you - I think you are so in tune with the Spirit and so good with sensing what is right for your kids. Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mother!!

    ReplyDelete