Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Birthday and Some of My Favorite Things

Another year has come and gone!  We had a nice celebration and I got some of my favorite things!

The night before my birthday we got to eat at Olive Garden.  We seldom go to "fancy restaurants" so it was pretty special for the kids.  They tried to be polite and mind their manners - all except little Ray who seems to think it's fun to yell whenever he wants something.  He liked my dinner, though, so he was pretty good as soon as the food came out (he wouldn't eat the breadsticks they give you while you wait - weird).  I did get pictures, but on my phone, and I still can't sync it, so I'll add them later.

On my birthday morning, the kids sung to me and gave me homemade cards and different chocolate bars.  I always smile at chocolate.  The cards were sweet.

I love how little Bazinks draws me with two pieces of hair coming from my head  - and that's a balloon next to me.  Their dad did rush them as they made the cards, or I'm sure Little Miss' would have had a lot more detail (she likes to put a lot of detail in her cards).  Here's what they wrote:

Spice:
Dear Mom, I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much!  And way way more.  You are the best mom in the world.  You are so hard-working and loveing and kind and helpfull and patient and sweet.  Thank you for all you have done for me.  Thank you for being so forgiving.  I love you.  Love Cassia.  P.S. That mother daughter activity was so fun!  ( then a picture of us holding hands)
Bud:
I lov you so so so so so so much mommy (with some balloons)
Little Miss:
I [heart] you (with a cut out heart, us, a cake and balloons)
Bazinks (a picture of us)

They are so adorable.

My hubby gave me a card and some iphone speakers along with some music.
I LOVE the music he gave me (okay, I did tell Spice exactly what I wanted so that she would tell her dad, but I am very happy with it).  I got Rob Gardner's Joseph Smith the Prophet CD - see it here.  It is amazing!!  I also got his new Lamb of God CD, but that one is still coming in the mail.  I'm hoping it will be here today.  As soon as I heard the song Gethsemane on the preview, I had to have it.  His work is so good.  I especially like that he uses people's real words and real scripture in his lyrics, but doesn't try to over-dramatize things.  I also own the Saints and Pioneers CD which I also like and the Missionary Project CD which I listen to all the time (obviously, it's not just for missionaries).  Here's a video with the Gethsemane song in it:
My mom got me an amazing present as well.  I also hinted to Spice that if anyone asked her what I wanted for my birthday she could let them know about the painting that my sister-in-law re-created of The Starry Night - brush stroke by brush stroke.  She's amazing and I've been wanting to have real art in our home for a while.  When I saw her painting on her etsy page - I had to have it.  I was so exited to see it - I wasn't expecting it at all (despite my hints!)  When I pulled it out of the box, there was a gasp from everyone - she is so talented!


I wish the pictures did it justice.  It's so cool up close. 

I got to teach Relief Society on my birthday and when we got home, my mom, dad, brother and his girlfriend came over and brought dinner and presents (my brother got me movie tickets - it's been a while since I've seen a movie - any good ones out there for us to see?)  It was a great time with the family.

Thank-you to all of you who sent me happy birthday wishes!  It was a really nice day.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Karen! Don't you just LOVE homemade cards from your kids?? I get them every year for my birthday and Mother's day, and they are the best! My very favorite thing in the world! I am excited because they are building an Olive Garden close to our home, and that's a fancy place for us too! Pete and I got to go on a date night there a few months ago and loved it! I can't believe that painting re-creation of Starry Night! Seriously beautiful! That's one of the things I have always wanted to do, is take a painting class! And I can't say enough great things about Rob Gardner's works! I have the Joseph Smith CD and the one about Jesus Christ! I can't wait to hear the new one! Enjoy it all! I hope your birthday was truly wonderful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun and that painting is amazing!!! Where are you going to hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That music has me in tears.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy late birthday, Karen! The cards from your kids are adorable. I also love the painting - wow!

    I haven't heard of Rob Gardner before - I'll have look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish we could have been there to celebrate your birthday with you, but I'm glad it was a good day for you!
    That song was beautiful, and the way you describe the composer, as not overly dramatic, really intrigues me. I sometimes have difficulty finding religiously themed music, because I find some of it too over-the-top, or too commercial sounding. I love that he used an orchestra, the cello solo was especially beautiful.
    I feel so honored/flattered that you wanted my painting for your birthday!!! I'm so happy that you like it, and that it got to you safely! I'm also glad it went to a "good home", it took awhile to paint, so I think I would have had a hard time sending away to a stranger's house if it had sold on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete