Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to School and Finding Fault and Updates

I've been feeling a little confused lately and so I haven't  been sure what to write.  I've been talking to several people as they send their kids back to school and how they feel about it.  Most say that they will miss their kids, but that they know it's good for them.  I talked to one mom whose 6 year-old daughter took a picture of their family to school to put in her pencil box so she could look at them when she was missing them.  I mentioned that it would be nice if they could have a shorter school day and she replied that it would be nice, but that they wouldn't be able to fit everything into it that the kids needed to learn.   I wanted to ask what a six year old needed to learn so urgently that they had to be at school for 8 hours to make sure that they learned it.  I didn't ask - she didn't seem to be wanting my opinion.

I talked to another mom who was going to miss her kids, but was glad that all of the fighting would be over when they went back to school.  I wanted to say that an important part of their education is to teach them to not "transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another... But [to] teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness...teach them to love one another, and to serve one another"(Mosiah 4:14-15), but I stayed quiet - she wasn't asking my opinion either.

Another mom learned that I homeschooled as we talked. She told me that she and her husband had been left with a bad taste for homeschoolers after they had met a family that homeschooled all of their children and their curriculum was The Book of Mormon. She waited for my reaction and when I just smiled and nodded, she went on to say, "I mean, you need to know more in life than The Book of Mormon to function in this world! They didn't do any math - their oldest went to high school to be on the swim team and he didn't know anything - we had to help him catch up. He was a bright kid and he did fine, but I just couldn't believe it." I wanted to know why it was so wrong that the child spent the first years of his live learning The Book of Mormon if he caught up just fine with the rest of his classmates that had spent the first years of their life learning the stuff that took him several months to catch up on. I was too confused to say anything right away and the conversation moved on to different topics so I never said anything to her either.

I know that everyone receives direction for raising their children and some people pray and feel that they should send their children to school, but they work hard to teach them the important values at home with their limited time. I admire these mothers, even though they do things differently, because they are proactively seeking to the the Lord's will with their children . I don't think one way is always better than another, like this post so beautifully explains.

The reason that sometimes I get frustrated is when people have these reasons that seem so misguided, and I want to help, but I think that saying something would probably not do any good because they are not really seeking for a different way - or maybe they are, I don't know.  I was in the same position not too long ago. I sent my children to school because I thought it was good for them, but I didn't like it. I just didn't see the alternative very clearly. It seemed too strange and potentially harmful to me. If I had known, I would have done things differently. It's just probably one of those things that you have to realize on your own.

I want to help and show people that the alternative is more joyful than one can imagine and that it really isn't beyond them, but I also don't want to offend. Maybe I should say what is on my mind anyway - if I say it with love and respect, since I really am thinking loving thoughts, maybe it wouldn't go over as bad as I think - or maybe people would just stop talking to me :-) I'm just so happy that I want to share how wonderful it is! No, it's not always fun and games, but it is so fulfilling.

Anyway, since I didn't say anything, I had to write about it and share my frustrations. I'm sure if I stay close to the spirit, I can be guided in what to say and when.  Maybe I should refer them to this post about false traditions - I know I haven't let go of all of mine (including several of the ones she mentions in the post)- maybe just noticing different ones can help us know which ones we need to look into. The trick is noticing them in the first place I think.

I was reading about the bishop in Les Miserables the other day. I was inspired by these lines:
What enlightened this man was the heart. His wisdom was formed from the light emanating from there. He had no systems but many deeds...His humble soul loved, and that was enough...There are men who work for the extraction of gold; he worked for the extraction of pity. The misery of the universe was his mine. Grief everywhere was only an occasion for good always. Love one another: He declared that to be complete; he desired nothing more, and it was his whole doctrine.
That is how I want to live. I want to stop stressing about how people could be happier and about the state of our world (I was up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep the other night because of it), but instead just love people and serve them, especially when they are unhappy, as we all are at times.  I want to go about doing good, as the Savior did. I know it starts in my own home. I often tell the children to "cease to find fault one with another", from a scripture we memorized (D&C 88:124), but I'm finding it is much easier said then done as I try to live it.

Anyway, that's what's been on my mind lately - establishing habits so that we can do those things that I know are essential while making sure I am living in the moment,  feeling love towards others and guidance in my thoughts and actions as I go.  I have a long way to go :-)

Some family updates (for grandmas and for me to remember):

Ray is finally learning to walk (he's 15 months old!):

Here's just a cute one that Spice filmed at grandma's over Labor Day weekend:



One of Ray's favorite tricks is to spin.  He spins often :-)



I realize that we say his name on the videos, but I figure if it's not typed then people can't go searching on the internet for him and it's safe right?  Sometimes I'm paranoid about these things.

Bud and Spice like to bear their testimonies on fast Sundays.  I've explained to them that they don't have to feel like they need to bear their testimony every time, and they don't, but most of the time they want to and  don't try to stop them.  I love to hear their sweet words.  I always mean to write them down.  A few months ago I remember Bud saying, "I want to always be good."  There was another time that he said the sweetest things and someone behind me told me that I needed to write that one down, but I didn't, and I forgot it despite my attempts to remember it.  I did manage to write his down last Sunday though!  He said:

"I love to bear my testimony.  I'm grateful for Heavenly Father and Jesus and my family.  I'm grateful for all that he..that Jesus has done for us.  I hope that we can not be mad at each other and we can love each other.  I know Thomas S. Monson is good.  I know that he is the right prophet.  In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

I wish I could remember Spice's testimony word for word.  I had forgotten exactly what Spice said by the time I got done writing Bud's down, but it was beautiful and heartfelt.  Maybe I'll write hers down next time.

The devotional boxes are going well.  I think it's cute when I ask them to write down what they want to work on that day and Bud often writes down "Obeying mom" or "Working for mom".  I sure love that goal! (We don't show each other our goals very often, but I glanced at his the other day).

Making Raisins:

Bud's "Box Costume" he made at grandma's house (I just had to take a picture):
The kids filled up their bean jar so we took them miniature golfing and then out for ice cream:
I couldn't stop taking pictures of Ray eating my cone:
Ward Swim Party (it was a bit cold for swimming - I didn't get in the water, but there were many brave souls that did) Spice went off the high dive!  I couldn't get her to do it again so I could snap a picture though :-(
Cuteness:
 And some more cuteness:

14 comments:

  1. I was reading Elder Ballard's talk about mothers and daughters yesterday. One thing he tells us to teach them is to not gossip, among other things. Upon a bit of introspection I decided that I am a gossip. (I hope you don't take this as a condemnation of you and this post because it's not.) I, like you, try to give honest answers when asked about homeschooling but I then vent behind the person's back. Is that gossip? I read a great post about teaching our children not to tattle tale because it's the childish form of gossip. The post went on to detail the Biblical way to resolve issues and none of them is to vent to other people. BUT I feel good when I do and I like to have people agree with me!

    What do you think? When we vent (By the way, I liked this post and was interested in your insights) is it gossip or is it contemplation? I guess it's a matter of intention. I need to think about this more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen~

    I have so much love and respect for you! Which is really awesome, considering you and I have only met through the blogging world! :0) So much of what you say, really resonates with me. Today's post is no exception! My husband and I are always talking about the promptings that I feel, to teach the children the gospel. I feel no other concern for academic things right now...mainly because of the beauty that is a leadership education! We were just speaking yesterday, about the cunning ways that Satan can use even education, to lead us away from the iron rod. There are many worthy educational pursuits! We MUST find out, through inspiration, which of those pursuits are part of OUR mission, for our missions overlap with one another. My mission is in part, to teach my children truth. If I fulfill my mission, it will aid them in fulfilling theirs! Their mission has it's foundation in mine, it doesn't have it's foundation in "what the state or the world says they need to know." It's all about what is the BEST of the BEST of the BEST, for each of us! There are many misconceptions about homeschooling, out there. Some think I am weird and "can't let go of my children". Why do I have to let go? I am simply teaching them the skills that will one day help them soar! Some think I am "sheltering them too much, from the world, so they won't be able to function in it." Last I checked, they have been sent to me and my husband to shelter and protect from a world that is inundated with Satan. The world cannot have them! Their work is too great, too important! Their innocence and sweetness are their strength! They are of a noble birthright! The mission for which Heavenly Father has sent them here, is even greater than the mission He gave me! Their spirits are so much stronger than mine, and yet, I have been blessed with the strength and ability to protect their way, until the time when THEY will lead the way for me! Kudos to every parent who decides (prayerfully), to do what they feel is right for their child! Inspiration in parenting, is very personal and special! I am doing no different than they! I am following the path that I feel divinely inspired to follow, for myself, and my family! I know that you are doing the same! And I am SO excited to know that my children are not the only soldiers in God's Army! Yours, and many other children in the world are being raised with an understanding of who they are and what the Lord expects of them! They will help to usher in our Savior when he comes again! That thought gives me chills and makes me smile! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you're saying.

    In a recent workshop, Andrew Pudewa from Excellence in Writing, stated that we should be BOLD in trying to convert other families to the homeschool method of education. As much as I would love to be bold, no one is ever interested in my opinion. When I speak up I seem to do more harm than good. I've learned to just keep quiet and focus on educating my family. I STILL, however, have this inner desire to be BOLD in sharing my thoughts about homeschooling.

    As an alternative, I've started praying that parents' hearts will be softened towards homeschooling and that they'll begin to think of it as an option for their family. I'm hoping my prayers will make a difference.

    P.S. I think your post was definitely "contemplation"; not "gossip".

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...I agree with Families Are Forever. I don't understand how this could be gossip, at all! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom meet anyone with questions about homeschooling that they really want answered so I don't say much. The main question I get is if I'm going to homeschool my children through high school.

    I don't know if you have any grapes left and you've probably already done this but when we have grapes that are going to go bad before we can eat them all we put them in the freezer. My kids love to snack on frozen grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As a recent homeschool and TJEd "convert," I can say that I'm so glad my friend (Angela) spoke up about it. She wasn't pushy in the least. I asked all the questions, and she simply answered them. I wonder if she wanted to say more when I expressed my own fears and uncertainties, but she didn't.

    What impressed me most wasn't any friendly lecture she gave me about homeschooling (she didn't) but her example and enthusiasm. Once the seed was planted, it was just a matter of time. The ideas she told me about just wouldn't leave me alone!

    I looked up the references she gave me, read the books, discussed the ideas with my family, pondered and prayed. And the more I learned, the stronger the Spirit testified that this was right for us. No well-meaning friend's testimonial, however eloquent, could have had more effect than the Spirit. :)

    Just my two cents. I truly enjoy reading your insights! I have learned so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said Ranee! Thank-you for the beautiful thoughts and encouragement. I'll probably go back and read your comment again and again when I feel discouraged :-)

    Amy, I agree that it's hard to not to vent sometimes. I think that is why I didn't write for a week. I was in somewhat of a negative mindset and I didn't want to just vent. I tried to say what I am feeling, but that I'm also trying to improve my outlook. I hope it wasn't gossipy - I guess I'll have to examine my intent a little closer before I can say for sure :)

    Families Are Forever, I like the idea of praying for people to see it as an alternative. I'm sure Heavenly Father will help those moms who need it to find it and I can be open to helping anyone when the need arises that way. It will help me feel better about not always saying what I think when it's not appropriate.

    What a great idea to freeze grapes Lara! I hadn't thought of it and we do still have grapes left - maybe I'll ask my neighbor if I can come pick some more now that you've given me the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine-
    I was a convert to homeschooling through Angela as well. I think you're right, she was exited about it and didn't mind sharing, and her example and enthusiasm wouldn't leave me - and neither would the ideas. I looked into it more myself, and after two years of contemplation, gave it a try. She never did lecture me or try to get me to do something differently. She didn't hide her fears or enthusiasm. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ME, wiser than YOU??! Ha. Very funny.

    I'm always having to work to keep my mouth shut about happy things I've discovered. If they're ready to hear it, they'll ask the questions. But that's so frustrating when you feel you have something that could help them!

    I'm sure your example speaks volumes to those who will someday need it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, your children are beautiful!! I love the video of Ray walking...that was Lexi two weeks ago, and now she walks like a total pro...it's crazy just how fast they learn!

    I also am shocked to hear some mothers' comments on kids going back to school...especially at the fact that most of them only care that they finally get a break for themselves. I earnestly pray that I will never feel that way and can always enjoy every minute with my children. I'm still terrified of homeschooling, but I'm determined to do it becaue I know that I can, at my worst, do better than a stranger will, at their best...not because I'm anything special, but because I'm a mom. I find it inspiring and relieving to read your family's story...it makes me feel like maybe someday I can do it and do a decent job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this post and I appreciate how loving your attitude is towards those who don't understand or who have been given a bad impression about those who homeschool. Boy, there sure are a lot of them out there.

    Great comments, too -- thank you ladies! I love the insight that a (good) mother at her worst will do better than a stranger at their best. I think it rings true, and I saw it happen with my family as my mother homeschooled us.

    Thanks for writing your thoughts and feelings here Karen. I too find myself at a loss for words most of the time when it comes to discussing homeschooling with others. It's such a different world and different mindset, it's hard to communicate the wonder of it all.

    Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a gentle manner, Karen, that I don't think you could ever offend someone by just speaking from your heart about what you love. I know I always love to hear your perspective on things, ESPECIALLY when it's different than what I had previously been thinking, because you give me so much to think about. Just your example is so inspiring to people, though, so whether you do speak your mind or not, I think you're doing more good than you know just by living how you're living.

    I love the updates and pictures on the kids - I'm so glad you included those along with your post. Bud's testimony is precious. And Ray is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, plenty of bashing on the public schooling parents in the comments.

    Karen, I really enjoy reading your posts but these comments this time are just a little more towards the "holier than thou" than I've ever seen before.

    Maybe talking about homeschooling with others would be better received if the people talking about it didn't judge their public schooling counterparts so harshly. It probably comes through in the conversation and I know I really don't enjoy talking about anything with someone who deep down thinks they're better than me...

    Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I'll offend someone which is unintentional. Just an opinion based on what y'all have typed here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry it came across that way Marie- you have wonderful kids and so does Joanne and Tricia who commented on here and who send their kids to public school (I've never met Tricia's kids, but I'm sure they are wonderful because she is awesome). Lisa doesn't actually technically "home school" either because her kids are too young, but she plans to. You are all amazing mothers.

    I wrote this post because I was talking to moms who were sad about sending their kids back to school. One of them, in particular, really seemed like she wished she didn't have to do it. I didn't understand, but at the same time I did understand because I felt the same way not too long ago. It could be, however, that they have different reasons than the ones they gave me, but they don't want to tell me those reasons because they are afraid they might offend me. I don't know - I just wanted to help and was frustrated that I didn't feel like I could.

    Homeschooling can be sort of a lonely thing sometimes, most people I talk to do not homeschool so maybe I was fishing for some sympathy in how I was feeling - which was bound to bring up some sympathetic homeschooling responses. Sorry it sounded "holier than thou" - I'll have to make sure I don't actually feel that way - you'd think with all my many shortcomings it would be super easy for me to never feel that haughtiness! Oh well, like I said, I have a long way to go!!

    ReplyDelete