Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Computer/Baby Room: Before and After

Before I post pictures of our computer room before I went through it, I would like to explain that this was the worst room in the house and sometimes the clutter was more neatly arranged then at others times.  I snapped the before pictures on a day that the clutter wasn't as neatly arranged so it didn't always look this bad, but, to be honest, it usually wasn't much better.

I had 4 boxes of baby clothes, old college papers and books, computer things that we never used, paperwork that I didn't need, and just generally things that I never wanted to sift through.  Here is the embarrassing before pictures:

Those cardboard sheets the kids use to make partitions in their games, there is a box of baby toys, purses and somewhat overflowing drawers of baby clothes. 
The computer area had lots of old paperwork, bags, cameras and books and next to that was the top shelf of the desk that didn't fit on the desk so the kids liked to play behind it with their blankets and cardboard partitions:

The corner next to the crib was packed full of baby clothes he had grown out of and clothes for him to grow into as well as more paperwork:
I know, it's awful.

So I thought about it and decided that the baby does not need so much clothes.  He would be fine with a couple of pjs, a couple of outfits and a few onesies.  I kept my very favorite and got down to ONE box.  The box was half filled with the clothes he had out-grown and the other half was the clothes he would grow into.  I put the shoes to grow into in a small thin box with the baby toys I kept (one rattle, a silky blanket, and a soft caterpillar) and some baby gear (the head cushion for the car seat, training underwear).  I kept the bouncy seat and the boppy pillow as well.  I did find I needed the bouncy seat when I wanted to put him down on hard floor before he could sit up well.

It all fit under the crib!  I was able to scoot his "dresser" back.  I also got rid of a lot of clothes that were in the drawers so now he just has 3 pjs, a few onesies, some socks, 2 jackets, 4 t-shirts, 4 long-sleeved shirts, and like 8 pants and 4 shorts.  Maybe too many pants now that I think about it...  Here's what's left:
As you can see, I moved the computer shelf next to the crib and put our devotional boxes under it (we've been having our morning and evening devotionals in my room - just off of this room).  It also has one binder (for my calling), one notebook (for my notes), the extra ink, envelopes, and our cameras.
The other side of the room was left with the computer, printer, pencil box and ONE filebox with ALL of our paperwork in it.  I tossed almost all "owners manuals" (you can get them on line), all old college papers (except 4 essays that I couldn't part with), and just kept medical records, important documents, auto and home papers,  tax documents and a few other things.  The computer desk fit all of the computer CDs that are left. and all of the "connecting wires" and chargers for our different devices (cameras and cell phones).

To be totally honest, I did stash my purses and bags on this side as well, but they are hidden behind the door:
There is also a small box on the other side of the desk that you can't see in the pictures, in which I put Rock's electronic things (mostly for his bike).

That's all that's left.  It feels so nice!

The best part of the day, though was, when I got finished with this room and headed downstairs to do the HUGE laundry pile that I had washed the previous day, but hadn't folded yet.  We're usually pretty good about keeping up with laundry, but with all of the people going in and out to fix our living room, I had neglected it and we had 5 days worth of laundry to fold.  Anyway, I got downstairs, and to my happy surprise, Spice had folded ALL of it and sorted it into the different piles for the family members:
She often does sweet things, but this was beyond what I would have expected, even from her.  What an amazing little girl.  She totally made my day.

The kids got so excited about the computer room that they insisted that we go through the toy room as well yesterday.  So we completely forgot about doing any "academic" things and tackled the toy room.  It didn't take too long, but it does look a lot better. I have pictures of that as well, but I am taking too long on the computer this morning and I need to get back to the kids and the house, so I'll post those tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Way to go! I'm amazed you got so much work done with the children awake. That says something about your parenting AND cleaning skills! And kudos to Spice for making your day. What a thoughtful gift she gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Karen. It looks fantastic! I'm sure you feel much better. Spice is a true sweetheart!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I enjoy seeing how others handle simplifying their homes, because I am still trying to figure out how to do that in my own home.

    Yesterday I was listening to a BYU devotional (by Shawn Miller) and this quote made me think of your blog post.

    "Seeking knowledge also can be an effective
    antidote to worldliness. We invest a great deal
    in the acquisition of stuff. Companies bombard
    us with slick, relentless propaganda as to why
    we must have their stuff, and we judge an individual’s
    success by their stuff’s sheer quantity
    and supposed quality. I like stuff—I especially
    like the word stuff. But consumption never was
    creativity. It brings few lasting satisfactions
    and can bring burdensome debts. Stuff beyond
    our basic needs does not liberate. Consider
    the overall investment of your time. You have
    to shop for stuff. You have to clean, maintain,
    and organize stuff. You lose stuff. You look for
    stuff. You polish stuff, secure it against theft,
    trip over it, recharge it, upgrade it, accessorize
    it, pack it, move it, unpack it, insure it, fix it,
    and eventually sell, trash, or bequeath it. Stuff
    has no use beyond this life, and it takes a lot
    from us."

    Anyway, I just wanted to share. I hope that you are having a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that quote! Thanks Corri! I need to go look up that devotional.

    I should probably add that I did go through this stuff 6 months ago so it went faster this time. The first time I went through it all it took longer and it was more painful and I had to think more about everything. That's why it went so fast this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome...just further proof that you're a great mom and you have wonderful children!! I think you've inspired me to do the same...it's amazing how much things accumulate in such a short amount of time (I just moved into our house in December!)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! That room looks awesome now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on your house and your blog! I am so jealous, we have a laundry mountain, but alas my boys are not quite Spice's age, so I doubt I will get any laundry surprises. It's a goal though! Buy the way, you are not forgotten here in Maryland, my oldest son will still occasionally talk about going to your house, playing with your children, the hamster and going to the playground. Amazing what they remember.

    ReplyDelete