Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Starting the New Year

Oh, wait, you mean it already started without me?

Yesterday was my first attempt at really getting back on schedule.  It went okay - I did get up at 7:00 instead of 5:30 so I skipped exercise and writing (consequently, this is going to be a very short post).   We cleaned the house from the usual Sunday wreckage and I thought we stayed pretty much on schedule until I realized it was 4 o'clock and we were about 2 hours behind schedule.  I'm not sure how that happened.  Oh well, at least I tried- which made it a good day anyway. I take comfort in the following words that I read this morning:




"This is an important matter to consider at the start of a new year—and every day ought to be the start of a new year and a new life. Such is the wonder of faith, repentance, and the miracle of the gospel of Jesus Christ.... Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away. Live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, of trust and divine love that will transform your life today, tomorrow, and forever. That is a New Year’s resolution I ask you to keep."  -Jeffery R. Holland
I did manage to get up a little earlier this morning, but not as early as I would have liked.  I was up late reading a book that I started last night and that I need to have read for book club tonight.  How did I manage to not get anything read over Christmas break?  I don't know.

Maybe, I should get back to my good idea about having only one New Year's resolution: I can surely" keep my eyes on my dreams" and slowly work on getting there.  

Since everyday is the start of a new year and a new life - today is going to be all about re-establishing the habits that we lost during our 3 week vacation time and then seeing if I can manage to finish Mere Christianity on time!  SInce I'm already off to a less than perfect start on my day, I'm going to take comfort in the fact that every hour is also the start of a new year and a new life!  Since that's bound to be imperfect as well, maybe I should remember that every moment is the  start of a new year and a new life!  That ought to keep me going!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for saying "Sunday wreckage". All week I clean bits and pieces of the house but on Saturday I make sure the whole house is spotless at the same time so we have clean house for the Sabbath. By Monday morning it is a complete mess and it drives me crazy. Makes me not like Sundays. But I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this quote. I needed it. Your posts are very inspiring and I've been meaning to tell you that for awhile now. You are such an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe little Miss is going to be 6! That is amazing, she was just a little toddler not so long ago. Happy Birthday big girl. Thanks for the inspiration, I need to just keep my eyes on my dreams and work on getting there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the "every moment" idea, too - otherwise I would give up each day. Today I was good, though - I haven't exercised since before Thanksgiving, and I was thinking about starting up again, but then I almost didn't because I thought "wait, that would make no sense to start on a Tuesday - I should just wait until next week and start on Monday". But instead I just did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning we got started only 15 minutes late which is a miracle for us and then we stayed 15 minutes behind for the rest of the day. That is pretty near perfect in my book.

    I feel like I can start over every morning. I love mornings!

    ReplyDelete