Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What Public School Does Well


I managed to get a Bachelor's degree without getting an education. I got some training and a few skills, but certainly not an education. I did well on tests, but I hardly remember any of the information I crammed in my head right before I took them. I started my educational journey about a year after my first baby was born.

Which brings me to the reason for writing this post. A friend came by this week with questions about homeschooling who worried that she couldn't homeschool because she didn't know enough math. I have heard this concern many times before about math, or science, or grammar, or all and more of the above. This visit prompted my wanting to say something about it here.

Isn't it interesting that we insist on putting our kids in a system that served us so ill? How many of us feel "educated" after high school? Or even after college? Do we feel like we read enough classics to be familiar with the great minds, ideas and thoughts of the past and their search for truth? Do we feel like we can converse and communicate those ideas with others? 

I think most of us who went through the public school system would probably answer "no". We are familiar with the scientific method and we can compute pretty well, but when it comes to the real purpose of education - to make us the best human beings we can be and allow us to make a difference in the world - the education dictated by our government did very little. 

However, it seems that it did do one thing very well - it sure convinced us that the system that did so little for us is good enough for our children. We are convinced that since we know so little so we need to rely on the "experts" at the school to give our kids an education. It's an interesting paradox.

Now, I know that not everyone's school experience was as ineffectual as mine. Some of you read great books and took your education seriously. But in my experience, those kids who owned their education were those who had families who educated them at home and sent them to school on the side -as a supplement to the education at home, not as a substitute.

And that is what I wanted to say in writing this post - the best education happens at HOME. Parents know their children better than anyone else - they know their weaknesses, strengths and talents. Parents are entitled to inspiration for their children. A family is the best training ground of character as you learn to get along with one another and live the truths you learn. We can set goals as a family and help one another attain them.  The love we feel for one another amplifies what we learn. Yes, there is contention, but where else will we learn to overcome anger and forgive? Yes, there are distractions, messes, loudness - but where better can we learn to focus on what matters despite the competing voices?
 

I hope this doesn't sound like I think public school is bad. I think it can be a great supplement for some kids. I just hope that parents don't think that it is adequate. Parents are responsible for the education of their children. We cannot shirk that responsibility. Public school was not adequate for most of us and it has only gotten worse in morals and in academic proficiency as we have given up local control.  Please don't ever let anyone tell you that "you don't know enough" to teach your children.  If you don't know something - you can learn it.  Finding answers is so easy with our current technology, but even if it weren't - God gave you these children and He will bless you with what you need when you need it.  I have seen this over and over in my life. I knew so little, but I have learned much as I have decided to learn along with my kids - and I love it. I look forward to learning more each day and my kids do too. Example is a much more powerful motivator than the threat of bad grades.

I guess I just want all mothers to understand the fulfillment that comes with rising to our eternal call to educate our children - to help them understand who they are and their unique work on this earth. People have told me that they worry about my lack of personal time and fulfillment because I have all of my kids home most of the day.  I have found it is just the opposite.  It is the most joyful, challenging, difficult, wonderful experience. When properly understood, it is the crowning work of women.

Well, I am needed downstairs.  To be needed is good. So I will close this blog post with the sincere desire to have said what I believe to be true with no offence meant to anyone. Have a happy, challenging, difficult, wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister :). Love it. So true. On the other end of what looks like "sacrifice" is actually a whole new depth to our potential, and the "sacrifice" to parent, to homeschool, etc. is no less, bringing unbelievable satisfaction, frustration, and joy.

    ReplyDelete