Sunday, April 28, 2013

Marriage Enrichment Weekend


About a year ago, I heard a podcast from a Thomas Jefferson Education conference titled "Building Happy Homes" by Dean and Joan Connolley.  I was impressed with what they had to say about marriage.  During the podcast, they mentioned that they do a "Marriage Enrichment Weekend" about 3 times a year.  They do not get paid for the weekend, they volunteer their time because they feel so strongly about strengthening marriage (you do pay for the hotel costs, food and handouts). I thought to myself that it sounded like a worthwhile thing to do someday and I filed it away in the back of my mind.

Well, recently the thought started popping back into my head.  I realized I had become so preoccupied with the kids and homeschooling that I was probably guilty of neglecting my marriage and we were both so tired most of the time that we tended to communicate on a rather superficial level.  I dedided to look more into it.  I found their site: http://www.marriage-enrichment.org/ and found that their next enrichment weekend was in April.  I asked Rock if he'd be willing to go, and he agreed that it would probably be a good thing, so I signed us up.

The site mentioned that they do not do any public disclosure kinds of things or counseling.  They simply teach you some powerful tools and let you practice them as a couple.  It sounded like a lot of the educational conferences I like to go to (except the practicing as a couple part).  We departed for our weekend on Thursday night, not quite sure what to expect.

Well, it was an incredible weekend.  Having graduated with a degree in Marriage, Family and Human Development, I figured that I would know most of what they had to say, but that it would be a good review.  While some of the information was not new - the way it was presented and then practiced was so eye opening!  I learned a lot about my husband of almost 15 years and we were able to see into one another's hearts in a more much honest way.  Our marriage was so greatly enriched!  We'll never be the same.  We also got to meet some really great couples, including the "leader couples" who taught the presentations and were willing to share some of their struggles, but exemplified what "couple power" and unity looks like in a marriage.  What a great service they do!  They are engaged in a great work.

When we first got there, Rock was a little leery about what this might be like.  After the first presentation he said, "There is a really good spirit about this." After that, it only got better.  I knew I would enjoy it (I like educational and self-improvement conferences and things), but he was surprised by how much he enjoyed it.  We were both so glad we had gone. 

At the end, we all got to say something about the weekend (if we wanted to).  Every person who was there mentioned how grateful they had been to have had the opportunity to be a part of the weekend, and how much they had learned. We all had an increased appreciation for our spouse and an increased sense of unity - plus a whole new set of tools to keep deepening that unity and closeness.

Anyway, I recommend it to everyone!  It was a worthwhile, enriching experience - whether your marriage is "hanging on by a thread" or seems to be going really well.   Check out their site - they also do "date nights" with guest speakers and different things.  I am so inspired by their passion and desire to help couples with this most important of relationships!  I want to be like them someday.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! What a great experience for two amazing people...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so neat - I know my parents have really loved the ones they went to. I really want to do it someday.

    It was so good to see you when I was in Utah! Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete