Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Latest Projects

Project 1: Mind Organization:

Guess what?  I am learning to organize my mind!  Isn't that exciting?  For those of you who know me personally, you know I have a lot of goals and passions and idealistic pursuits, but my follow-through is sometimes lacking.  I jump from one ideal goal to another before I have firmly established habits and then I look back and remember how awesome that one goal was and I try to bounce back to it again.  While this is kind of fun and keeps life exciting,  I know that if I was a little more organized in my goals and ideals, my family would benefit so much.  Normally, I just have a hard time holding on to thoughts for very long - I misplace so many things because my mind is racing through several thoughts and is not quite aware of what my body is doing sometimes. 

I have a friend who is really into organizing and she told me of this great program called "Mind Organization for Moms".  As I've been implementing it for about three weeks now, I am so much more at peace! I no longer do things with the worry in the back of my mind that, "I ought to be doing something else that is important, but I can't remember what it is".  I have a time and a place for all of my ideas and goals.  Refreshing.  I am not perfect at it yet, but it has been such a blessing for me and my family.  Being more present with my children has been the biggest blessing, since I am not tripping over thoughts all of the time.  You can find more information about it here: http://powerofmoms.com/store/m-o-m/

Project 2: Quality Family Work
Our family has gotten relatively good at our schedule, but I often found that the quality wasn't quite up to par.  To work on quality, I made some checklists, put them in a page protector, and put them on a clipboard with a dry erase marker attached with some yarn.  They check off their checklists before asking me to check their work.  It's pretty detailed - it says things like "Check behind the door" or "Put cleaning supplies away" - the little things that often get neglected.  I've even had to make a couple of revisions when I notice a detail that often goes unnoticed. The house has been looking so much cleaner!  While I am determined to keep at it for at least 6 weeks until the habit is firmly established.... follow through is the hard part.  Being kind of a softy, I don't always make them check their checklists on days that they are "too tired" or busy (or that I was), but I have to remember how important it is to their character and be strict about it.  On the days that I have let things go, I could sense that it was not good for them - so I'm putting on my determined mind right now and sticking to it! :-)


Project 3: Vanguard - wrapping up the year
The other thing that has been on my mind lately has been the end of the year activities for our homeschooling youth group.  I can't believe it will be over in a month!  The year went by so fast.  What a blessing it has been!  I am developing a testimony of the Lord's methods of education.  As we have tried to incorporate the principles we have learned about from great books such as "Increase in Learning" and others, the youth have thrived and are catching the vision of how/why the Lord would have them learn.  Mentoring this incredible group of youth has been amazing - their insights are profound and I feel edified every time I get the opportunity to be around them.


Watching Spice "increase in learning" as she applies the things we have taught her at home, and as she is inspired by her peers and by the truth she learns, has been a delight.  Below are  all of the books and articles that Spice has read and discussed this year.  The youth are asked to prepare to teach something from their reading before they come to class, so she has also had a chance to teach from these readings.  These are the readings from the last 7 months of Vanguard that she completed:

TJEd for Teens
most of 5000 year leap
7 Miracles that Saved America
Otto of the Silverhand
Trumpeter of Krakow
Child's History of England (through ch 22)
Music Talks for Children
Three Questions by Tolstoy
The Journey of Al & Gebra in the land of Algebra
Several short mathematician biographies
Racing to the Moon
Men of Iron
The Hiding Place
The Happy Prince - Wilde
Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers (chapters 1-7)
Story of Liberty (3 chapters)
The Story of Europe
Genesis Chapter 1 (very slowly with a lot of word studies)
Several LDS articles (You were Born to Lead; Decisions for which I've Been Grateful; Perry talk; Acquiring Spiritual Knowledge; Finding Inspiration in the Arts; Terror, Triumph and the Wedding Feast; The Constitution - a Glorious Standard; The Arts and the Spirit of the Lord)
The Message
Unlikely Heroes
The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow
The Proper Role of Government
Science books/chapters of own choosing (about the weather, rock and water cycles, astronomy, human body, and others)
6 short biographies of artists
The Story of the Crusades
Declaration of Independence
Magna Carta
The Constitution
The Living Christ
The Nicene Creed
Sleeping Beauty
Mystery of the Periodic Table
Bill of Rights
Beowulf
The Travels of Marco Polo
Jungle Book
Yearning for the Living God
The Merry adventures of Robin Hood
Remembering Isaac
Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Fascinating Fibonacci's
The Traveler's Gift
Joan of Arc by Twain - vol 1
Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
The Giver
The Chosen

This means she has read 28 books, 5 partial books, 19 articles or short stories and quite a few short biographies and science concepts.  Not bad for 7 months!  I am so happy with the education she is choosing (none of this was mandatory or graded, but she wanted to do it since she values getting an education - how cool is that?!)

Those are pretty much the latest projects (besides de-junking and spring cleaning - how do we pile up so much stuff so quickly?! And implementing some of the great ideas I got from general conference - I'll have to find time to blog about that too - wasn't it awesome? And I now have an organized way to follow through with the great inspiration!)  I have several pictures I need to download and memories to record, so hopefully I will get to that soon also.  I just didn't want to let another week go by without an update.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I found mind organization this year as well. It makes such a difference doesn't it? I love the Power of Moms website.
    I struggle to do my weekly review but when I do it is so helpful. I have loved knowing that all my ideas are recorded somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I am impressed by Spice's reading list! That's quite an impressive list there. I look forward to hearing about what she reads next. :)

    I too am a bit dismayed by how easily stuff piles up. We just moved from AZ to WA 9 months ago. We got rid of a LOT when we moved here and started with a very empty house. I am already finding that I need to declutter a bit. You really have to stay on top of it or it just creeps back in! I tossed out a lot last week that we didn't need.

    Thanks for the update on what you're up to! I find your posts encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete