Sunday, May 5, 2013

What is Glaringly Missing?

 This was the question that was asked in our stake conference today about a child's testimony that you often hear in Sacrament meeting.  He said he was praising their testimonies, but that there was a very important element that was often missing and it reflected what was being taught at home.  He quoted the "standard" child's testimony: "I'd like to bear my testimony.  I know the church is true.  I love my mom and dad and brothers and sisters. I know Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."  Then he asked, "What is glaringly missing from this testimony?"

He said that in our teaching our children we often focus on "keep the commandments, keep the commandments, keep the commandments".  I thought about the scripture in 2 Nephi 25:26:
 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.
He said we may be guilty of "looking beyond the mark" in our teaching our children.  That the focus should be on Christ in everything we do - on the "why" of keeping the commandments.  I know a couple people who have left the church, and I think in large part it was because the focus had been on the "what" of the gospel instead of on the Living God.  When I went to copy and paste the above verse to my blog, the next verse caught my attention:
Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.
This week, I had the incredible privilege of going to a fireside in an small, intimate setting where one of the most incredible men I have met was speaking.  I read a book about him titled, Yearning for the Living God: Reflections from the life of F. Enzio Busche.  It is an incredible and inspiring book. He was a small boy in Nazi germany and he talks about his quest to find God after his confusing childhood (which included being drafted to the Nazi army at the age of 14).  What I loved about watching this man speak was his glowing radiance and excitement about the fact that we have a Living God and His love is the greatest power.  
He said (paraphrasing), "When I look at the millions of stars and know of the many galaxies and I know that there is a God who created them all, and that I am His child - I want to to jump for joy! I don't know how it works, but I feel that individual relationship that I have with him... when we want to speak to a king or some important dignitary, we dress up and make an appointment and wait for him to have time for us, but the ultimate King - the creator of all - is always ready to listen to us!  When we talk to him, like a child to a father, he is always there."


He said that with this love, everyday is even more bright and full of love than the day before and he wants to smile and hug people (we all laughed and he said, "Don't laugh!  It's true!") Since he was in the Quorum of the Seventy for a time, someone asked him where his favorite place in the world was.  His answer, "Every place where the Spirit was."  Isn't it true?  When we feel God's love flowing through us, we have no desire to be anywhere else and feel such joy and peace about wherever we are and whatever we are doing.

That is why we are here.  It is not to learn all of the "to dos" of the gospel and try to do them all.  It is to develop that relationship with God and to learn to love like He does through His grace.  For a great talk about how grace is not only the redeeming power of God, but also the enabling and strengthening power of the atonement, I highly recommend "In the Strength of the Lord" by Elder Bednar.  I listened to it this week and it opened my eyes to a few things.



I do have a strong testimony that the Lord strengthens us and enables us as we reach out to him.  Not to be melodramatic (my life is so blessed and so many people are suffering) but I will admit that I have been so exhausted at times being pregnant, after a sleepless night with children and an active morning with mischievous toddlers, that I know that I do not have the strength to be a good mother the rest of the day.  Knowing a nap is infeasible at the time, I get on my knees and plead with the Lord.  I have literally felt transformed with the energy and strength I needed until I could make it to nap time (or bed time - if nap time is impossible).  I know this strengthening and enabling power is real.

I want to be better at drawing closer to God in all the things I do, to make the effort to reach out to Him more sincerely and intently.  I know He is aware of me.  I know he loves me beyond what I realize or can conceive.  I know I am His daughter.  I know He is waiting for me to let Him help me reach my divine potential in finding joy in blessing His children.  That is what this life is about.  The commandments help us find our way, but we should never forget that they are not the Way.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. -John 14:6

2 comments:

  1. great post Karen, I'm going to read that book. Always love reading your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful thoughts as always. I love your "nap-replacement" idea, and your perspective on it. I appreciate the inspiration it will give me in the days to come. Keep sharing! You're absolutely lovely :).

    ReplyDelete