Sunday, September 4, 2016

A Different Way to Educate

The Grand Canyon today
Hike to Bridal Veil Falls on Tuesday
Have you ever listened to something that was so different from the normal thought around you, and so contrary to how things are normally done...yet it resonates so strongly in you, fills you with such peace... that you know what is being said is right for you?

This had happened in several areas of my life, particularly in the area of education. I suppose it is because I am more humble in this area (thus more open) since I need all the help I can get in figuring out the whole homeschooling thing. 

Recently I met a girl who was homeschooling this year for the first time. She asked how long I had been doing it. 
"This is my 9th year, " I said. 
"Wow, 9 years.  I am still trying to figure out how to do this!"
"So am I." was my reply.
Feeding the fish

I have read so many books on it, tried so many methods and ideas, talked to so many incredible people, but I still have so much to learn. Acquiring a good education is done so so differently than what is commonly practiced at school and in our society. Thankfully, God is merciful and we seem to get by alright.  

One of my most favorite people to listen to is Marlene Peterson. When she speaks about education, her words resonate so strongly with me and fill me with peace. She understands true principles of education.  As I try to apply the principles I learn from her and her reading recommendations,  a war tends to ensue in my mind... "But everyone does it this other way..." says my brain, and it takes lots of practice and trial and error before I am able to fully embrace the principles she teaches. 

On her website, Marlene has a "Mother's University" course that you take at your own pace. The readings are phenomenal. I hadn't been doing much in it because it's hard to find the time. I have been reading from it again on my road trip to Arizona and I feel recommited to make it a priority to read a little from it each day. It helps me focus on what matters in education, nourishes my heart and mind, and fills me with wholesome peace about it.
Bill, William, Cassia and I drove to Arizona for a BYU game and some bonding time. 

I've been reading month 2's book on Nature. So inspiring. They all are! And humorous too. 

Visiting the Sonora Dessert
Marlene has a lot to say about educating the heart though the world puts a lot of emphasis on educating the mind. We can ask our phones most of the information we spend time memorizing for tests, but what are we becoming? What are our efforts for? Should all those hours be spent on something more than merely passing tests to make it to college to get a job? Isn't there a whole lot more to making life beautiful?




It's like we are aiming at such a miniscule goal right in front of our faces that we fail to see the incredible vistas we could see if we aimed a bit higher.



So, I am again reminded to slow down, go outside, read inspiring stories, look at beautiful art, read some poetry and focus on those things that fill me with that feeling that makes everything around me come alive: Christ's love.


I am still figuring this out. And it is hard for me to fight the tendency sometimes to make sure they know all the stuff "everyone else" knows. But we have come a long ways. My kids really are learning how to ask great questions, how to find the answers, and how to live differently because of them.


If you haven't explored the Libraries of Hope website, I encourage you to take a peak. You may find, as I did, that there's no going back - just simply, joyfully, curiously ahead.



Some more pictures and thoughts from the week:

My superheroes:



Hike with my youth:


Off to Arizona:
Rudy's was a favorite restaurant when we lived in Texas. We were excited to find one in Phoenix.
They feed their reptiles once per month at the visitor center. We got there just in time for what they called "The feeding frenzie." The guy was so passionate about reptiles that he talked to us for an hour about them. He had 75 snakes at home. Anything can be super interesting when you hear it from a guy with passion!



Playing at the hotel pool 

Going "antiquing" before the game


The game:








The following day we went to a really awesome sacrament meeting (it was funny that half the people there were BYU fan visitors), but the testimonies were so sincere. I felt the Saviors love for me so strongly. Especially during the sacrament hymn.


In the drive home we stopped at the Grand Canyon. Pictures don't do it justice. You have to experience it. It filled me with awe at the magnificence of God and our smallness and His love. It seemed unreal as you walk up to it, you have to stand for a moment and absorb it before it's magnificence starts to sink it.













I love this smile


Pretty grand :)

We are now driving home. I miss my little kids and I am excited to see them (even though I'm sure it will take them a while to come back to Earth after being spoiled by grandma all weekend). It sounds like they cleaned my car for me though, and that was no small task. I got these adorable pictures from my mom:







And it looks like they had lots of fun too...



"We're meditating"


I look forward to hugging them all again. And don't I have the best parents in the world? 🌎❤

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience for you all! Yes, you have wonderful parents...and so great that you will be living so near them!!! This is how families should be, I feel; near and supportive. Or at least, that is the ideal, right?

    Super hugs to you and all those adorable kids! And way to go and spend a memorable experience with Bill and the two oldest :). Great times.

    ReplyDelete