Thursday, September 20, 2012

Monotheism and the Trinity


I got to go on a field trip with our youth group to the Cathedral of the Madeleine yesterday.  It was awe-inspiring!  The deacon taking us through the tour explained a lot of the symbolism in the art and some of the beliefs of his church.  I came away with a greater respect for their religion and beliefs.  They were beautiful.

On the ride home, I got to talk to my friend (who is Lutheran) about some of her beliefs and the difference between ours.  She also came to my house and helped the youth with a discussion about the Nicene creed.  She is a deep thinker and I enjoyed listening to her testimony.

One of the optional articles we could have read to prepare us for the discussion was Is the LDS view of God consistent with the Bible?  It was a great article and it sparked great discussion between Cassia and I as she read it to me.  She asked, "So are we polytheist if we believe in a Godhead with a Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost?"

I explained that in my mind I view this idea as a circle that radiates light (love, peace, truth, beauty) in which Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are all together in the middle and their light shines upon all of us to lead us to that center (thus their commandment to be "one" with them - Zion), but we sometimes turn our backs on that light and then it is time to re-turn to them (or repent).  And we can do that only because of our Savior's atonement.  I think Salvation is about which way we are turning. If we were polytheist, we would believe there were several circles radiating light, but if we go towards one - we'd be moving away from the other one (kind of like the Greeks when they would make one god jealous by paying too much tribute to another god).

I love this video about light:

I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life - for the opportunity I have to seek truth and live it and find joy there.  I am grateful for the clarity the restored gospel blesses me with as I come to understand, appreciate and love my Savior better and better each day.  I am overwhelmingly grateful for His love for me, who fail Him often, but He is there for me at every stumble.  He can be there for me because He has paid the price and suffered for each fall so that I can keep on moving toward Him - towards eternal life with my family.  I am making the effort to know Him better, and it is a joyous journey.

We were discussion Hypatia in class the other day, and how her father had really high expectains of her.  The mentor pointed out how he didn't just tell her to jog up a mountain on her own, but that he would jog up with her.  Spice raised her hand and commented that God is the same way, He gives us commandments, but He is there with us every step of the way (and I would add has suffered everything we might suffer).  I know this to be true for I have felt Him with me many times.

On a side note, the deacon at the church remarked how he has done many tours with many youth groups and high school students, but that our group was first rate, that he enjoyed the time with them and that he would love to have them back anytime. They really were so respectful, asked great questions and were so reverent in that place.  It is an honor to get to know so many incredible youth!  I see great hope for our world in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment