Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Reading List: Books to read and my all time favorites

I want to keep a log of which books I plan to read in the near (or maybe not-so-near) future (for those times I'm done with a book and I can't remember what it was I wanted to read next ;-)  ).  Here is what I have so far (in no real particular order, I'll probably pick and choose depending on how I feel):

Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
Smoky - Will James
Log of the Cowboy - Andy Adams
Flower Fables - Louisa May Alcott
Tanglewood Tales - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Hans Brinker - Dodge
The Lost World - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald
The Princess and the Curdie - George MacDonald
Johny Tremain - Forbes
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Wind in the Willows - Grahme
Pollyanna - Porter
Pollyanna Grows Up - Porter
Just David - Porter
Black Beauty - Sewell
The Sign of the Beaver - Speare
The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Speare
Captain Courageous - Kipling
Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers
Saint Joan,- Twain
The Yearling
Laddie: A True Blue Storie - Porter
Freckles - Porter
Girl of the Limberlost - Porter
National Velvet
The Walking Drum - Lois L'Amour
Flatland - Abbott
The Deerslayer - Cooper
Uncle Tom's Cabin - Stowe
Gulliver's Travels - Swift
Up From Slavery - Washington
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - Douglass
The Education of Henry Adams - Adams
Eight Cousins - Alcott
Tramp for the Lord - Boom
In My Father's House - Boom
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court- Twain
The Last of the Mohicans - Cooper
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Red Badge of Courage
Howard's End
Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories- Irving
Ivanhoe - Scott
The City of God - Augustine
The Divine Comedy - Dante
The Weight of Glory - Lewis
The Great Divorce - Lewis
Walden and Other Writings - Thoreau
Anna Karenina- Tolstoy
The Iliad (translator Richmond A. Lattimore),
The Odyssey (translator Emile V. Rieu)
The Aeneid (translator John Dryden or Robert Fitzgerald)-Virgil
The City of God - Augustine
Nichomachus, Introduction to Arithmetic
Shakespeare Plays
Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained - John Milton
The Pilgrim's Progress- John Bunyan,
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce

Here is also a list of books (that I can currently think of) that I would classify as my all-time favorites so far:

The Scriptures :-)
Great Expectation, Dickens
Nicholas Nickleby, Dickens
Jane Eyre, Bronte
Jane Austen Books
Lonesome Gods, L'Amour
Little House series
Little Britches
The Little Princess
Little Women
Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution
A Thomas Jefferson Education
Arm the Children: Faith's response to a violent world
Middlemarch, Eliot
Mere Christianity, Lewis
The Screwtape Letters, Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia, Lewis
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Hiding Place

What are some of yours?

7 comments:

  1. Have you heard of goodreads.com? It's a fabulous site for keeping track of things like that, then adding your review. Check it out. Shelfari.com is similar and is really visual, but I think the features on goodreads are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favorite children's book (I consider it a children's book) that my whole family enjoyed is Just David by Eleanor Porter, who wrote Pollyanna. It is not well known like Pollyanna because that was made into movies.

    Juat David is a pure delight! We read it as a family read aloud, and my husband (the little sneak) couldn't wait for the end so he stayed up late one night and read the rest of the book before I read it to the kids. THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

    I highly recommend reading it before or instead of Pollyanna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my two cents...and it is even worth less than that, but we loved Pollyanna...wouldn't recommend ever watching the movie. We often remind each other to play the glad game.

    Hans Brinker, Sign of the Beaver The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and The Weight of Glory are all ones I would put in the change who you are category. All of the characters make deep personal sacrifices to do what is right.

    We've read Jungle Book, Wind in the Willows Black Beatuy, Laddie, Rip Van Winkle and a few others. They were good, but for me not life changing. Although I have a friend who reads Pinnochio on a quarterly basis and loves Laddie, so I think it really depends on the individual family. We each need different things for our education. God has different things to teach each of us.

    Also I don't know if it is the same book that chocolate recommended, but the version I read was called I am David by Anne Holm and it was also called North to Freedom. It was a beautiful book to learn about changing from the inside out. Great moral and good for LOL's who are good readers or for a family read. It feels a little dark at the beginning as he is in a concentration camp but I think that is necessary to show the beauty in life as he beings to trust and love and turn his life over to God

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!
    I do need to update my goodreads account. If any of you are on goodreads - add me as a friend - my email address on it is karenbates6@gmail.com

    Thank-you so much, Busy bee, for all of your suggestions. I value your opinion very much. I will add your favorites to my "to read" list.

    Chocolate, I have also added Just David to my list. Thank-you so much for letting me know about it! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to imply that we didn't like Pollyanna. It is a great book! We just love Just David more. :D

    I haven't updated my goodreads account in over a year. I don't think I can even remember what books I've read this past year. I really should do a better job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog today and I love all the book lists! I also enjoyed reading about your little girl's birthday. Some of the books from your list that I have read and enjoyed are Johnny Tremain, Witch of Blackbird Pond, and the Little House series. I read Uncle Tom's Cabin a couple of months ago and it became one of my top five all-time favorite books. Some of my other favorites are Jane Eyre, The Good Earth, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lorna Doone, Rebecca, and of course, the scriptures. I just started Middlemarch a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah, I also read and enjoyed Thomas Jefferson Education, but I think I like The Well-Trained Mind just as well and maybe even better. My children go to a Core Knowledge charter school, which I like, but if I am ever required to homeschool them again, I would probably pull from TJ and Well-Trained Mind, and throw some core knowledge in there, too. :0)

    ReplyDelete