Thursday, October 21, 2010

100 Classics for Adults from "A Thomas Jefferson Education"

I found this list here: www.theimagefoundry.biz/downloads/100+GreatBooks.pdf

It is Appendix A of A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Van DeMille

Key:
Bold=I've Read it and recommend it
Cross-out= I've read it and don't recommend it
Normal=I haven't read it or I've read it and don't remember if I'd recommend it

100 Classics List
John Adams, “Thoughts on Government
Aquinas, “On Kingship”
Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics
Aristotle, Politics
Aristotle, Rhetoric
Augustine, The City of God
Aurelius, Meditations
Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Austen, Sense and Sensibility
Bacon, Novum Organum
Bastiat, The Law
Bastiat, “What is Seen and What is Not Seen”
Benson, “The Proper Role of Government”
The Bible
Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy
Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Bronte, Jane Eyre
Carson, The American Tradition
Capra, The Tao of Physics
Chesterton, Orthodoxy
Churchill, Collected Speeches
Cicero, The Republic
Cicero, The Laws
Clausewitz, On War
Confucius, Analects
The Constitution of the United States of America
Copernicus, On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres
Covey, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Dante, The Divine Comedy
The Declaration of Independence
DeFoe, Robinson Crusoe
Descartes, A Discourse on Method
Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
Dickens, Great Expectations
Douglas, Magnificent Obsession
Durant, A History of Civilization
Einstein, Relativity
Emerson, Collected Essays
Euclid, Elements
Frank, Alas Babylon
Galileo, Two New Sciences
Gibbon, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Goethe, Faust
Hobbes, Leviathan
Homer, The Iliad
Homer, The Odyssey
Hugo, Les Miserables
Hume, Essays Moral, Political and Literary
Jefferson, Letters, Speeches and Writings
Keegan, History of Warfare
Kepler, Epitome
Martin Luther king, Jr., Collected Speeches
Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Lavoisier, Elements of Chemistry
Lewis, The Screwtape Letters
Lewis, The Weight of Glory
Lincoln, Collected Speeches
Locke, Second Treatise of Government
Machiavelli, The Prince
Madison, Hamilton and Jay, The Federalist Papers
Marx and Engels, The Communist Manifesto
Solzhenitsyn, “A World Split Apart”
Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Sophocles, Oediput Trilogy
Stowe, Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Thackeray, Vanity Fair
Thoreau, Walden
Tolstoy, War and Peace
Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War
Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Washington, Letters, Speeches and Writings
Weaver, Mainspring of Human Progress
Wister, The Virginian
More, Utopia
The Magna Charta
Mill, On Liberty
Milton, Paradise Regained
Mises, Human Action
The Monroe Doctrine
Montesquieu, The Spirit of the Laws
Newton, Mathematical Principles
Nichomachus, Introduction to Arithmetic
Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
The Northwest Ordinance
Orwell, 1984
Plato, Collected Works
Polybius, Histories
Potok, The Chosen
Plutarch, Lives
Ptolemy, Algamest
Shakespeare, Collected Works (no, I haven't read all of them)
Skousen, The Five Thousand Year Leap
Skousen, The Majesty of God’s Law
Skousen, The Making of America

2 comments:

  1. Love Bastiat! He is like the CS Lewis of Economics to me. He is so logical and thoughtful and "ideal" that I couldn't help but love his works. Benson's talk is really great too. It's nice to have such a great talk with a LDS theme

    I haven't made up my mind about Wuthering Heights. I read it in high school and didn't love it then, but I may have missed the point entirely. :)

    I can't wait to grow up and read Euclid. I have been inspired to ever since I read that Lincoln's logic was inspired by Euclid. Logic is facsinating to me.

    I'm impressed you've read Les Miserables. I'm hoping to do that one this year.

    Nichomachus..Intro to Arithmetic was interesting! I've never thought of math as spiritual before, and even though his spiritual roots are way different than mine it was interesting to think about. I'd recommend reading this one with someone who is willing to discuss and try to understand what he is saying. It is not light reading.

    Love The Chosen. I forgot to mention on my blog that it always makes me want to play baseball too :) I read the sequel..The Promise. Not as good, not life changing, but interesting to see how their friendship and good works continue.

    We should have a book group and read some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the book group busy bee! Are there any books on my reading list that your are thinking of reading?

    I've been thinking about reading Nichomachus - Intro to Arithmetic - I'm glad to know it's not dry! I'll put it on my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete