Sunday, February 12, 2017

Habit Training Challenge - Anyone Want to Join Us?

Hike up Rock Canyon
I have been thinking a lot about habits lately since writing my last post. It has been so good to get into the habit of writing a priority list daily, asking my kids to write one, and helping my little ones write theirs. The key is to use them as tools for growing closer to God - not as an end in and of themselves. I try to remember to start with a prayer before I write my list and I start with a prayer with each child before we write their list. I tell my older kids to prayerfully write theirs also. It's more than a "to-do" list- it's a way to record impressions from Heavenly Father about how He would have us spend our time. It builds a relationship to Him...

The latest research says we need 66 days on average to form a habit. Some require less and some more. It used to be said that all we needed was 21 days. So I though I'd try for 21 days and see if it works for me as long as I am able to maintain them after the 21 days while starting a new habit. I have 21 habits I want to pass on to my kids - 11 of them are daily habits and 10 of them are weekly habits. If I work on 1 weekly and 1 daily habit for 21 days and move on to the next one (while still maintaining the others) - I  and my family could have acquired all 21 habits in 7 months. I don't know if it's realistic, I may have to slow down and stay with some for longer before adding new ones, but I'd like to try it.

Does anyone else want to do this with me? I could start a Facebook group for those of you who don't Ike to try this so we could inspire one another in our efforts. Following are the habits I want to acquire or improve in the next 7 months by working on 2 habits for 3 weeks (one weekly and one daily) and then moving on to the next 2 habits (while keeping the previous ones) for the next 3 weeks. I already do many of these, but I have ways I could improve in each one if they became the focus of the 3 weeks.

At the beginning of the 3 weeks, I can send out what I have learned as I have tried to acquire each habit, age appropriate modifications for those who are inviting their families, and ways to improve that particular habit if it is already something you do.  What I ask in return is your feedback on what has worked for you and what hasn't - how you've managed, how you deal with distractions, your ideas about what works for you in trying to acquire each habit and any quotes or scriptures that have helped you.

Any takers? Support is always nice when doing hard things like building new habits.

I'll be starting a blog soon for it.

Pictures from the last couple of week:

 Hike with Bill and Cassia:




Everyday moments:






Chinese New Year Celebration:



Nice day for the park:




Ella's burthday:



William's Birthday:
He spent morning at choir and theater, came home for pizza and some Smash Brothers,  went to a dance with some friends and then watched "Fantastic Beasts." It was a full day. I sure love that kid!




Contemporary art Museum:
We had a some interesting discussions after watching the Banishment of Beauty on YouTube and then going to a contemporary art museum. I really recommend the video. It certainly makes you think. But there is some nude art in it, just fyi.





And here's some pictures of our house in progress:




2 comments:

  1. I think those goals are great! Would you be open to me replacing some of the goals with ones that I need to work on? I'd love to be on the FB page. What a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Melinda! I will add you as soon as I get it up and going. Probably within the next week.

      Delete