Sunday, August 14, 2016

Pictures from the Last Two Weeks and Some Take-a-ways.


As I was sitting on a flat rock on a mountain overlooking Heber Valley, pen and journal in hand, asking Heavenly Father if he had any guidance for me while I had this moment of quiet... I felt theses words in my heart, "I have daily guidance for you. Take the time to hear it." It wasn't a rebuke at all. It was a loving, gentle thought. Like my Heavenly Father was saying, "I want to give you more, if you really want it."

I rarely miss my morning scripture study. And I usually remember to pray and ask for guidance in the morning. But I have to admit that sometimes it is in a half-hearted distracted way. I'm not remembering how very much I want that guidance or how much it means to me and my family.

I thought I would go home from the Mother's Retreat in Heber Valley to get up really early most mornings to go on a hike, read scriptures and ponder before I got started on my day (Yeah, I'm kind of idealistic like that when I get an idea in my head). How many times have I managed to get up early and go to the mountains? Zero. There is always something that comes up - a child that isn't sleeping, a late night, a restless night, etc. Things are so clear in the mountains... is it possible to still have clarity and focus at home? I know it is. It just takes a little more work.

Being in nature helps me put things in perspective. Every time. Sometimes I feel as if I ought to live in a cabin in the woods just so I can have a clear mind more often. I feel like when I go back home and I'm surrounded by walls and thing to do and clean... I just forget the clarity I had up high in the mountains (or when I go to the temple).

I had several opportunities to be in refreshing nature the last two weeks. When I got back, I was tempted to throw my phone out the window on several occasions because I saw more clearly how it keeps me from joy when it distracts me. I'm tired of being distracted, but I'm very distractable. I really want to be in tune.

Here are pictures and some take-a-ways from the different opportunities I had the last 2 weeks:

Mother's Retreat:

The beautiful women in my cabin

Each musical number penetrated my heart. It was beautiful.


Lois Smart spoke about motherhood and her experience when Elizabeth was kidnapped. Insipring.
All of the speakers were inspiring.


I came away from the retreat with the realization that I really don't need to fear anything the world can throw at me. One of my biggest fears is loosing a child. As I heard Lois talk about the nightmare of realizing someone had taken her daughter and wondering night after night where she was and if she was being hurt... yet sharing the tender mercies, guidance and comfort she and Elizabeth received through the entire experience - I realized that with God we can make it through anything. His strength is sufficient. I need not fear.

"There are no places that are safer than other places, the only safety is in the center of God's will." -Betsie Ten Boom

I also came away with some new ideas for our home. I am working on them, but I realize it will take some time to incorporate them all. Right now, I am just focusing on trying each day - otherwise it would be rather discouraging. It's sometimes hard seeing where you want to be and how far you are from being there. My biggest hang-up is getting myself and everyone else in bed earlier. It's a tough one.

Camping:

 This last weekend we went camping with some friends. We had no reception where we were and I loved feeling disconnected from the world for a short time.  We saw some beautiful places. Seeing beauty is a refreshing drink to my soul. I am so thankful Heavenly Father made beautiful places where we can drink in his love.

Playing with a caterpillar (that did end up coming home with us)

Getting settled in

River fun









Dinner and S'mores


Campfire stories. Here Caden was sharing one that had to do with diving...

Hiking around Causey yesterday. We were looking for a place to swim.
We hiked 5 miles in our swimsuits searching for the perfect spot.

We were getting ready to give up and turn around when we came upon this view. It was worth the hike. And it rejuvenated us for the rest of the trek.


We found a beautiful place to play... although we didn't do much swimming ;-)


The Youngbergs are some of my favorite people. They are so positive, relaxed and fun to be with.















Summer Days:
And we've had some slow summer days with family and friends too. Here are some that I remembered to take pictures of...
We love the Packs



Some of my friends from high school were visiting near by so we went swimming with them and their kids. It was so good to catch up. It felt like High School was just yesterday until we'd look around at all the children.

Love this little goofball

Dressed like a "Hebrew"

Proud puzzle finisher
I love summer. It is sad that it is coming to a close. But we are excited for the opportunities ahead too. Especially if we can remember often to stop, listen and love.


2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I am still praying that our paths will bring us closer together so I can share some of that precious Bates-time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete