Sunday, March 23, 2014

Great Thoughts From My Kids

Spice gave taught a lesson in YW today and she asked me if she could share a not-so-flattering story about our family because it taught her a lesson about grace.  She read it to me and I loved what she said so I wanted to preserve it and share her thoughts on here.

Based on a true story:
So I was babysitting my siblings. 
(Already crazy right? ;) )
And my little brother [Gem], is such a sensitive cute little guy, and he did not want my parents to leave. 
He was literally screaming and running out into the road as they drove off. 
I kinda stood there like 'we are both gonna die, child protective services is probably on their way..."  and then I ran up to him, and I attempted many strategies (If you can call them strategies...).
I tried forceful words, I tried a bunch of bribery, I tried pleading, but when I finally got him to come back with me, he was still reluctant in his words and I barely made it inside alive ( I'm exaggerating XD).
I later realized the one strategy I forgot, was that of Love.
But as we got inside, of course I had to fulfill all my bribes, and some of them included food, and you know how it is when one kid in your family gets a piece of food, its like a bunch of ravenous wolves stampede the kitchen, and everyone has to have some. So by this time I was kind of just like "Ugh!"
And then after the bribes were fulfilled, it was time for bed. So I got their pajamas on (In more realistic terms I wrestled with a bunch of angry gorillas and attempted to slap some clothes on them.) (Maybe not that bad, but you get the idea.)
But as I read some stories, and tried to put one kid in bed, while the other was screaming around, and I tried to tuck one in, while the other was singing at the top of his lungs, or as I read a book that one wanted, the other went ballistic because it wasn't the book he wanted to read, and as I administered 50 drinks, I got more and more frustrated by the minute.
But as I settled on the bed, with a kid each arm, reading a little fairy tale, I realized that THEY were JUST like me. 
Just little souls wondering around trying to find what makes them happy.
Just wanting someone to be there for them and love them.
And as I tucked them in, and said a prayer with them, I thanked God for their smiles, and their laughter, and I prayed that we could keep this spirit always. 
And then I turned off the lights and gently closed the door, knowing that if I were to have integrity, and use Christ's grace, I needed to see and love people as who they really are, and who they can become.
Only through Christ can our hearts be changed and it is only through His grace that our perspective and life can transform.

Sweet huh? While I am preserving memories, Bud gave a talk about the blessings of the temple today.  I really enjoyed seeing how he is developing a testimony of the importance of going to the temple.

Bud''s talk:
Blessings of the temple talk: 
I was asked to talk on the blessings of the temple so here goes,
There are many blessings of which the temple gives us... For example, this week  I was able to go to the temple 2 times and do baptisms for the dead. That was a blessing for me and the dead because I'm feeling the spirit strongly while I do them and it strengthens my testimony while it gives people who maybe didn't hear about the gospel a chance to have the blessings we have and have everlasting happiness.  
The temple is also like a portal to heaven. It’s a place where God can dwell because Satan cannot be there. The  veil is very thin in the temple so you can feel the spirit strongly there.
Eternal marriage is a great blessing of the temple to know that you will always be with your family forever.  
Can you imagine how terrible it would be to think that if a family member died  you would never see them again, ever. Thanks to the temple we can have eternal families and know that after a family member dies we can see them again and be their family forever.  
There is a spirit at the temple that makes you want more of it. When you go home, you want to have more of that spirit so you try to make your home better and that's a blessing so you can have a better home. When I was at the temple I had a feeling of happiness of serving because when you do baptisms for the dead you are serving.  
The temple is also a place where people can receive wonderful insights about spiritual things. When I was at the temple I felt a great love towards every one and that is a feeling we should take home.  Jesus said “love God” is the best commandment and “love your neighbor as thine self” the second best, so we should probably do them in our home. 
The temple is a great example of what we should make our homes like. The temple is a place where Satan can't be (as I mentioned before) so he can't get to you there, so if you are having trouble making a decision go to the temple and the spirit will guide you so that you know what decision to make. Since I went to the temple I want to be a better person because I can see what I can have and the happiness I can have if I be the best I can. I think Heavenly Father created temples to grow closer to him and to have everlasting life, and various other reasons. I think we become closer to him when we go to the temple because we’re strengthening our testimonies when we feel that spirit and know that the church is true. A temple is a place where we can feel closer to God and covenants can be made.  
Someone who was not our religion said "I feel the Mormon experience of the temple has restored the meaning to that meaning to the word “temple”, I thought this was cool because it shows that our temples can even show truth in other people’s religions so if people think that that's true maybe they'll find out more about our religion and think more things about it are true and more and more. Then they'll maybe join the true church - so that means the temple its self can be a source of help to missionaries. 
I like baptisms for the dead because it's so fun to do them. I don't know why it's so fun - the other day after I just had been to the temple the day before I had an opportunity to go again with my friends from our homeschool group, but I didn't want to go because I had been there the day before and I was thinking, “Well, I just went, so it's alright to not go today, but then I thought, “What if Satan is putting these thoughts in to my mind, I am not going to spend the rest of my days thinking things like, “Well, I just did that or I just did this so I don't have to do it again.” I don't think that's a good way to think - so I went. I was glad afterward because it feels so good to be there and do baptisms and be in the temple, and I was able to receive double the blessings of the temple! So if you have a chance to go to the temple - go! Because you want to have those blessings in your home. 
 Thomas S Monson said, "In the holy temple the precious plan of God is taught, it is here that eternal covenants are made. The temple lifts us, it exalts us, it stands as a beacon for all to see, and points us to celestial glory. All that occurs within the walls of the temple is uplifting and ennobling.  The temple is a place of . It is a place of kindness and love and light." We can learn a lot of things from the temple when we want our homes be like it.
Testimony


This is getting long, but he also gave a talk to the boys who were turning 12 this year (and their parents).  I want to preserve that one as well, so here it is:

Things I can do in my life to help me prepare for the priesthood-
There's the basic stuff like reading scriptures, going to church every week, pray, family home evening. Some other things are like play with your brothers and sisters, don't be mean to them, do service aoround the house, don't do video games too much, listen to your brothers and sisters.  This stuff makes you more likeable and you have a better light around you.  I'd suggest that you should read the Book of Mormon at last once and have a testimony that it's true.  This stuff will help a lot in preparing for the priesthood.   
Be obedient to your parents, if you don't then why is Heavenly Father going to trust you to be obedient to Him?  If you have the priesthood you're gonna have to be obedient to Him or else why would He want you to have the Priesthood?  And we need to take care of our stewardships like our house, our pets, our bodies, our spirits.  We need to take care of our spirits especially because our spirits have to be taken care of or how is the priesthood gonna dwell in them?  So once we do this stuff we'll be more prepared for the Priesthood. 
Now I'm going to describe a boy who is worthy to receive the priesthood, as I do this, I want you to think if you are like this boy.  A boy who is worthy to receive the priesthood is quick to give, quick to repent, pays attention at church, turns to the Lord in his need, not away from him., keeps the ten commandments.  I'm going to read them because sometimes we forget them and I'm going to change them a little:
I have no other Gods before Him
I don't make any graven image
I don't bow myself down to them
I keep His commandments
I don't take the Lord's name in vain
I keep the Sabbath Day holy
I honor my father and mother
I don't kill
I don't steal
I don't bear false witness against my neighbor.
I don't covet
A boy who can say these things in his head and have them be t   rue is pretty worthy to receive the priesthood.  A boy who is worthy to receive the priesthood isn't selfish, has a strong testimony and shares it with others, doesn't judge, is quick to obey, is respectful.  He is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.  I don't know if that sounds familiar.  He listens in general conference and lives what he hears in it.
So how much does this apply in your life?

Okay, now that I'm on a roll, I will also put one of Spice's latest poems to finish off...

Charity

A hardened soul
From fear and war
Holding back
Scarred before.

A broken heart
A weeping face
Not letting go
Nor seeking grace.

An angry one
Building his own
Walls around
With cares of stone.

A hurt and lost
Person of pride
Not willing to change
The things inside.

A softened soul
Moves past the fear
Is progressing
For God is near.

A healing heart
A smiling face
Using every day
That grace

A praying one
Who seeks solace
Building his
Lasting palace.

A confident
Person of Christ
Open to change
For what is right.

The difference comes
Just with pure love
Charity
It's found above.

It's so good to see these kids learning and understanding true principles of the gospel.  May they always remember them!

No comments:

Post a Comment