Sunday, September 15, 2013

Am I Willing to Do the Same?

I have been struck lately by the sweet ability to live in the moment and feel the wonder and beauty of it. I am realizing this comes easy to me when I am sacrificing something for what I know to be true - each time I realize I need to make a change and I set about making it. I guess this is the repentance process that we should constantly be going through.

I have very little discretionary time and I have found lately that what I do with it is very important. I can spend it online, or on mind-numbing things. There is nothing inherently wrong with that (which makes it easy to justify), but it certainly keeps me from doing something better with that limited time. Heavenly Father has blessed me with a curious and active mind. I love to learn and I love to teach. Like I said, I don't have a ton of time for my own studies, but God does magnify my efforts with my limited time. That time is precious. I think of the prophet Joseph Smith and how much he was able to do in his short life. It is incredible. He didn't waste his time on that which is of no worth so his efforts were magnified in the short time he had. I have seen Heavenly Father do this with my efforts when I commit to giving Him "my" free time. I am learning that how I spend each moment counts.



I am not saying that I intend to be fanatical about always doing and running faster than I have strength. Sometimes the best thing to do with my time is to sit and stare and in wonder at my new baby girl. Sometimes it's to do the laundry and sometimes it's to leave it undone and listen to a child.  Sometimes it's to read and study and sometimes it's to sit and ponder. Sometimes it's to just play.

I do know that as I use my limited free time on what is best (and not just good or okay) at that moment - God will help me accomplish great things that will bring me and others great joy.  I have seen it over and over. I just need to stop getting distracted with things of less worth.
(This is a great article for reminding us how easy and damaging it is to get distracted.)

We watched the following video at church today.  I reminded me of the sacrifices others have made for what they knew to be true.  Am I willing to do the same?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment