Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Vanguard

I mentioned a while back that my friend, Mary, asked me to take over a youth group called Vanguard that she had been running because she was moving.  That responsibility is a big reason that the blog posts are so rare these days.  I have learned a lot from the experience. Some of the lessons have been hard.  Maybe I'll write about them sometime.  There have also been a lot of great experiences.

This next fall, I decided to start my own group since the group I was involved in was getting quite large.  Having been in class each time, I knew that a smaller environment would be ideal. So, being an idealist - I decided to start another group. It was a hard decision because I had come to really love the youth I had been privileged to learn with, but I saw a lot of evidence and felt strongly impressed that this was the path I ought to take. So now I'm taking it.

It has been neat watching things unfold.  My biggest concern was finding good mentors (as well as some interested youth!) And they have come.  I am so excited about the incredible women I am getting to know who are willing to embark in this endeavor with me.

I just started a blog that explains the overview and the basic educational principles I feel so strongly about that are incorporated in this group.  It's vanguardmentors.blogspot.com  Come check it out and to see what I've been up to.

I do need two more boys in our group - so if any of you know any 12-18 year old boys that live around me - send them my way ;-)  It will be a great experience for them!

It occurred to me the other day that maybe I ought to be a bit afraid that the youth won't like it or that things won't go as planned, but I realized that I am not.  I feel so strongly that these principles of education are true and that youth will know it and apply that truth.  Youth don't like being told what to do, but they love hearing true principles and will willingly choose to challenge themselves if they understand the reality of why they should. I am excited to get to know some more incredible spirits and for me and my family to grow and learn with them.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited for your group! How neat to see the hand of God unfold in your life and see the peace that comes from it. I hope you find those boys...they will be lucky to be there!

    ReplyDelete