Sunday, April 5, 2015

Learning How to Breathe (with some pictures from the week)

I hated running the mile in Junior High. Our P.E. teacher would set her stop watch to time us, line us up and make us run around the big field in front of our school. Usually the boys were out in that field playing some sport and could see my humiliation. I would start running for a few minutes and was quickly out of breath. I would walk for a few minutes so I could breathe again, and then I would try to run until I couldn't breathe. It was torture. I always came in close to last, dizzy, and sweaty.

(Gem teaching his sister how to exercise)

One day, I was talking to my mom and mentioned how much I hated running the mile. She listened with concern and then she asked, "How do you breathe when you run?"

"I don't!"

"When I was training for track under an Olympics coach, he taught me to breathe differently when I would run."

This Olympic coaching was news to me and I asked her about it, but she took me back to my original question...

"It is a long story, and life took me in a different direction, but I did learn how to breathe."

"What did he teach you?"

"Try breathing in for two quick breaths and then out one breath."

"Really? That seems unnatural... I don't know if I can do it while I run."

"Try it, it just takes a little practice."

So I practiced this the next time we had to run the mile. It was kind of awkward and I couldn't do it the entire time, but I did find that it helped. The next time I ran, it started feeling more natural. It only took a couple of times before I could run the entire mile and come in near the front of the group. Who knew such a simple thing could make such a difference?

 I love hearing my babies take their first breath right after they are born, knowing that their lungs are working, and feeling the wonder of their being alive and new to this mortal world. I also love seeing them take their first breath after they come out of the waters of baptism and seeing their smile as they are "born again" and have made the choice to follow Christ - the source of the breath of life.

I have been pondering "breath" this Easter season - what a gift it is to be alive and breathing - seeing the blossoms on the trees, hearing the laughter of my children, feeling their chubby arms around my neck. And what a gift it is to know that because of my Savior's sacrifice - they, and I, will live forever. Joy, laughter, and love never have to end!

This seems like a good time to insert some pictures of our week :-):
 Origami exhibit at BYU





I love that expression
Bud, patiently waiting at the park for the girls to finish art class
 Spontaneous picnic at a near-by park:





What a gift is life! (I have been learning about "breath" in the scriptures and in Hebrew. The letter "Hey" in Hebrew means breath and revelation - breathing in God's Spirit and connecting to Him. Breath is very symbolic really. Have you ever thought about it? I do not see life the same way since I learned about the letter Hey - it might be my favorite Hebrew letter because I see it constantly all around me, and as I see it, I feel connected again to my Heavenly Father. I invite you to research "breath" or "revelation" in the scriptures and see if you don't start to see the connections all around you.  Here is a video to help you get started - it is worth the time it takes to watch it, I promise!):


It occurred to me, during my run on Friday, that this life is about learning how to breathe. I sometimes yearn to live in a little cabin in the mountains where my little ones can chase squirrels and we are surrounded by pine trees with a little stream where we can make dams and race leaf-boats. Or to live in the 1800s where people walked to each other's homes and talked and danced and had only 3 dresses to take care of.
Lancaster.com
I realize now that what I am yearning for is that constant connection to God. I want to be breathing in His Spirit at all times and feel His beauty, majesty, and love all around me. I want to step away from all distractions and just breathe. I love my daily moments of breathing-in my life and being filled with joy, gratitude and love. The Atonement is what made that connection possible despite my shortcomings. I love my Savior for what He did for me.

Making a daily priority list has been a huge step for me in learning how to breathe. I am a "bouncer." I bounce from idea to idea and love starting new projects. It is a gift to have ideas and to be excited about trying them, but it has also sometimes held me back from developing habits which only come from persevering with something through thick and thin. I now find myself more often living in the present moment more fully, while still feeling like I am calmly progressing to higher ways. I do remind myself - often - that my priority list is a tool. Finishing everything on the list is not my goal. But using it as a reminder of what is most important to me in my journey of learning how to love as He loves (or, in other words, learning how to breathe-in His Spirit) is why I need it.

I did find that having the list on the phone sometimes made it easier to get side tracked with checking emails or social media real quick before moving onto the next task, so I deleted the email and facebook apps from my phone. Sure, I could still use the internet to get to them - but who has time to do that? I decided to only check emails or Facebook when I am on the computer and never on my phone (unless it is important, of course) so that has also helped a lot. It has been nice. I am feeling more like I am living in my cabin in the woods :-)

Our church has a conference twice a year where we get to hear from the prophet and apostles of the Lord and other leaders. Talk about a breath of fresh air! We got to hear from them yesterday and we get to listen again today. I LOVE this time of year. Here is a link to the conference if you would like to hear what they have to say. You can look at past talks or watch it live in a few hours at 10 am and 2 pm mountain times. What a great way to spend your Easter!  They have been talking a lot about safeguarding the family and staying focused on what matters. My favorite talk so far has been one that talked about tuning our homes to the music of the Lord. He said,  "Sometimes in our homes we are successful in teaching the dance steps, but are not as successful in teaching how to hear the music" - the whole talk by Wilford W. Anderson was profound. I also LOVED Linda K. Burton's talk - it inspired me to better appreciate my good husband. Elder Bednar's gave me greater understanding about the difference between worldly fear and Godly fear - so enlightening! And Elder Christofferson's talk about marriage was one of the greatest sermons I have ever heard on the topic. Everyone who is married or hopes to be really should read it and ponder it.  It is so very needed in our world!

It sounds like the family is waking up. Thanks to my loving Savior, I am off to live another day! Have a happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of breathing, at the Macbeth performance when my mom asked the actors how they changed in and out of character, they said that they did it through their breathing.
    It's interesting how connected we really are to our breath. Much more than people realize, as you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting point Tova. It is interesting how breathing can help us switch gears. It makes me think of how people talk about feeling like they are drowning when they are overwhelmed. It is a clear signal that we need to stop and connect to that source of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting point Tova. It is interesting how breathing can help us switch gears. It makes me think of how people talk about feeling like they are drowning when they are overwhelmed. It is a clear signal that we need to stop and connect to that source of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote this the other day, but I guess it disappeared into cyberspace. I read the running half of this on Monday, and since I'm training for our Vanguard 5K (slowly but surely), I decided to try out the breathing difference. Over a week before then my training was up to 5 minutes of straight running with walking breaks. Then I got sick and didn't run for over a week, and hadn't made it back to the 5 minutes straight again. With the breathing change, get this - 7 minutes, no problem. CRAZY! About to head out for another run. Thanks for the timely tip! (I still need to finish the rest of the post - got interrupted when I was reading the other day.)

    ReplyDelete